Digital thermometer

Started by babyjones, April 21, 2016, 03:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babyjones

I have recently replaced my probe on the thermometer, but find that the new one is more than 13 deg C out (over reading by 13deg C). Is there a way to calibrate them, or do I just have to compensate calculation wise? Bit disappointed as one would expect them to be fairly accurate?

TedEbear

What brand is it and what are you using to measure it accuracy?  Is it an instant read or one that you insert into the food and leave it there?

babyjones

Its a Bradley digital thermometer. I placed ice in a glass with a little water, and the unit should read 0deg C. It reads 13deg C.

Grouperman941

I'd test again with boiling water. It may be optimized for a temperature that actually matches its application. Higher end models do have temp calibration features. Not sure about that one.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Habanero Smoker

Hi babyjones;

Welcome to the forum.

I have a Bradley digital thermometer, and it can not be calibrated. If it is reading 13°C higher using the ice bath method; as Grouperman941 mentioned use the boiling water test. If you don't have enough ice, not letting the ice water sit long enough, and don't swirl the probe; you won't get an accurate reading. For the most accurate boiling water test it is best to calculate the altitude, and barometric pressure (if you now it).
Boiling Point Calculator

If it is reading no more than 4°C, I would guess you could just compensate by adding, but there is a member who is a scientist, and I believe he once noted that as the temperature increases the difference in the readings will be exponential, as the temperature increases. For example, 13°C at 0°C, may be a difference of 30°C at 107°C. So if it is reading that far off, and it is new, return it for a new one.

One other thought. A low battery can cause an error in the reading. If it is beyond warranty, and the probe is bad, you may be better off buying a new digital probe thermometer, rather than paying to replace the probe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)