Opinion wanted

Started by jon515, April 23, 2016, 05:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: jon515 on June 10, 2016, 11:53:38 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 10, 2016, 01:40:29 AM
Maybe I should give them a call. If I can get my heat shields replaced with the new one piece shield, it is worth a try. I've been fighting uneven temps since I've updated to version 5.6 and higher. It still cooks good, I just have to work with the different zones, which is to be expected; the JB is long and the firepot is not centered. You may still find some different zones, that that is kind of expected; as long as the variance is not too huge. I've finally got it so the far left is about -10°F than the center, and the far right is about +15°F, by adjusting my shields.

Do you have the three piece or one piece heat shield? If you have the three piece, they are probably sending you the one piece shield. What version are you running? I just updated to 6.2, but haven't had a chance to do a test run. I would be interested to know if the new shield makes a difference.

I have the latest firmware (it was updated when they sent me the control board) The heat shield is a one piece, the new one they are sending apparently has the notch cut differently to redirect some of the heat.  Fingers crossed, the other fix I saw (but this is when my left side was the hot side) was a dryer vent run from the chimney across the grill to the left side, this supposedly fixed that grillers temp problem!

Looks like they are listening to the customers. On the first one piece shields, a lot of users were using a dremel to cut that notch. The dryer vent hose works for some, but not others. I haven't tried it. I use my upper rack to frequently.

Good luck. Again, let me know if that one piece shield works better.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jon515

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 10, 2016, 01:40:29 AM
Maybe I should give them a call. If I can get my heat shields replaced with the new one piece shield, it is worth a try. I've been fighting uneven temps since I've updated to version 5.6 and higher. It still cooks good, I just have to work with the different zones, which is to be expected; the JB is long and the firepot is not centered. You may still find some different zones, that that is kind of expected; as long as the variance is not too huge. I've finally got it so the far left is about -10°F than the center, and the far right is about +15°F, by adjusting my shields.

Do you have the three piece or one piece heat shield? If you have the three piece, they are probably sending you the one piece shield. What version are you running? I just updated to 6.2, but haven't had a chance to do a test run. I would be interested to know if the new shield makes a difference.

I received the new heat shield, still a 30 degree difference from side to side plus a huge difference from what the control panel says. It would be hard to feel more dissatisfaction.

Habanero Smoker

I understand how you are feeling. Mine is about 25 to 30 degrees difference from side to side. It is not a problem with butts or brisket. For items like chicken, small roast etc. I will rotate the food.  On the positive side they will continue to work with you to get this resolved.

Since version 6. the display on the control panel no longer give the true grill temperature, and I'm going to complain to them about it. Once it hits the set temperature, the display will stay at that temperature, even though you open the hood, and a third party probe display will show a 30°F drop.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jon515

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 27, 2016, 01:29:06 PM
I understand how you are feeling. Mine is about 25 to 30 degrees difference from side to side. It is not a problem with butts or brisket. For items like chicken, small roast etc. I will rotate the food.  On the positive side they will continue to work with you to get this resolved.

Since version 6. the display on the control panel no longer give the true grill temperature, and I'm going to complain to them about it. Once it hits the set temperature, the display will stay at that temperature, even though you open the hood, and a third party probe display will show a 30°F drop.

I did contact them again, I was a little over frustrated and got voicemail and left a message that could have been worded better on my part, that said I did not get a call back. However I did get an email back and they recommended I move the deflector a 1/4 inch at a time. I appreciate the help but I am about ready to bill them for pellets and time. I really want to love the grill so I hope they can get it working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

I still have to fire mine up after updating to 6.2. The pellets can add up in cost, when doing all that testing. I recently lucked out. A member over at pellethead organized a group buy in my area. Keep an eye out for members posting one in your area. That is the way to buy pellets. I was able to purchase (6) 40lb. bags of Lumberjack pellets. at a cost of a little under $14 per bag. I have used Lumberjack in the past and they burned well, so when I had the chance I bought in.

I
         don't
                   inhale.