need help

Started by charlie122272, April 24, 2016, 07:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie122272

My heating element on my digital 6 rack smoker will not heat up. Everything else is still operating normal just the heating element is not. Please help and thank you.

Habanero Smoker

Hi charlie122272;

There could be a few reasons why the heating element is not working. First make sure the power cord that goes between the oven and the generator is firmly connected at both ends. In addition if you have a computer power cord, use that to plug the oven directly into a wall socket. If the element works, then the problem may be a loose wire in the generator.

If the element still doesn't work, it could be the element itself. Except for a bad batch several years ago, the element lasts a long time. If you have a multimeter you can test the resistance of the element. You will need to disconnect one of the wires on the end of the element. You should get an OHM reading between 27 - 32 ohms.

If you have a good element, then the other problem could be the fusible link. To get to that you will need to take the back off the oven. In the below picture of my OBS the fusible link is that long red wire leading to the temperature control sensor (small black box). I don't know if the Digitals have a temperature control sensor, but if it does that could be another possibility. You can use your multimeter to test the continuity. Yard and Pool sell almost all replaceable parts for the Bradley.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)