Accidental cold smoke

Started by smokingbear, May 02, 2016, 09:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokingbear

I set a small brisket 4-5 pounds in at noon, 3 hour smoke 8 hour oven @ 200.  Came back 6 hours later to see the "oven" still on but the temp at 95.  The briquettes all cycled through for 3+ hours, the temp was 130 when i left but i thought nothing of it since I just loaded it.  So apparantly the heating element is dead, and the meat was sitting somewhere between 130 and 95 all after in the temperature "danger zone."  Anything to do other than feed the dumpster?

ETA:  So I put in the oven with a pan of water underneath at for a couple of hours, internal is 170, and it looks delicious.  Did I save this for dinner tomorrow, or just marinade the dog food?

Second, other than changing the fuse, how could I tell if the unit is repairable or dead?

Habanero Smoker

Though smoke provides some antimicrobial protection, and if you used salt in your rub that does somewhat retard the growth of bacteria; 6 hours is a long time to be in the danger zone. Especially around the 90°F - 98°F temperature. That is the ideal temperature for most food born bacteria to grow. And if you left the meat on the counter to warm up, prior to placing it in the smoker, that is additional time.

As for you smoker, there can be a few reasons that the element did not work. One thing about the Bradley, they are fairly easy to repair, once you know what is causing the problem. First you should get a desktop computer cord, and use that to plug your oven directly into a wall outlet. If the element works, then the problem is in the generator. Check the generator for a loose wire(s).

If plugging the oven directly into the wall socket, and the element doesn't work; then the problem is in the oven. It is easy to replace the electronic components in the oven, you just have to take the back off and you have easy access to the inline fuse, and high temperature sensor (if the digital has one). If you have a multimeter you can test the element. Disconnect the wire on one end of the element, and use the multimeter; you should get a reading between 27 - 32 Ohms. For the inline fuse and high temperature sensor, remove the back of the cabinet and do a continuity test.

Replacement parts can be easily obtained from Yard & Pool, or from Bradley

For more helpful information, check out the below link:
Bradley Smoker FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokingbear

Thank you for the reply, I feared as much with the meat, but good to hear about the repairability of the oven.  I hope to try again soon.

Habanero Smoker

You may want to invest in a Maverick remote thermometer. You can set a low temperature alarm, and carry the receiver around with you. The alarm is not loud enough to wake you up, but if you are awake the alarm will alert you that something is wrong with the smoker keeping temps.

They have a few models out. If you have trouble receiving a signal in your home, don't get any model lower than the ET-733. You may see the ET-732 still being sold, but the range is not as good. If you have a smartphone, they have a Bluetooth model ET- 735, but you may find the iGrill2 around the same cost, and with more options. Personally, Bluetooth does not work well in my home.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)