Smoked hot dogs - frankfurters

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, May 05, 2016, 04:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Did a batch of smoked hot dogs today, they turned out fabulous.  I used a recipe called Dakota's Best Hot Dogs that I found on a site called lets-make-sausages.  I used 3 pounds of beef and 2 pounds of pork, I didn't emulsify but ground them 3 times through the small disk, it gave them a good texture.  I gave them 90 minutes of cherry smoke and then finished them off in a water bath to 152 F.  Excellent taste and nothing but fresh ingredients, these will go fast.

All stuffed before smoke

Into the drink

Blooming

Here's the texture

oldsmoker

great LOOKING

Great looking dogs. what are the casings and where did you get them?

OLDSMOKER

WoodlawnSmoker

Quote from: oldsmoker on May 05, 2016, 04:52:16 PM
great LOOKING

Great looking dogs. what are the casings and where did you get them?

Thanks, they're great with some fried onions and peppers.  The casings are 25 mm cellulose casings for skinless sausage, I got them from The Sausage Maker.  They really are a dream to use, they are tough enough to stuff pretty tight and after the water bath they slipped right off.  Took the smoke well too.

watchdog56

Aschenbrenner

Wow - some great looking (and based on the recipe), healthy frankfurters.  You definitely peaked my interest! What was the temperature of the franks when you moved them from the smoker to the water bath?
Calgary

Cookshack PG1000 pellet smoker :)
Bradley DBS
Weber Genesis

WoodlawnSmoker

Quote from: Aschenbrenner on May 06, 2016, 10:21:50 AM
Wow - some great looking (and based on the recipe), healthy frankfurters.  You definitely peaked my interest! What was the temperature of the franks when you moved them from the smoker to the water bath?

Yeah, I like that they are healthy; I love a good dog and my wife won't even allow store-bought in the house, but these she loves.  I'm not exactly sure what the IT was coming out of the smoker, I wasn't monitoring as I knew I would finish in the water bath.  By the time I took them out of the smoker and brought inside to set up I think the IT was at about 120 F.  I dried them in the smoker for 30 minutes at 140 F and then did 90 minutes of smoke at 150 F.  Finished in the water bath until 152 F and then into icy water in the sink.

Aschenbrenner

Thanx for the broader details - I'll attach these to my notes!
Calgary

Cookshack PG1000 pellet smoker :)
Bradley DBS
Weber Genesis

Smoker John

Those look great, I would like to give this a try, way better than store bought.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

randy1

After reading this post I had to try to make some frankfurters. I am new to this sight but not new to sausage making we make lots of venison sausage every year and every one seems to like it a lot. But this is the first time to finish it off with a hot water bath it worked great  franks are absolutely delicious we only made 5 pounds 3# pork 2# venison used a 5# Lem frankfurter cure packet and Jack Daniels smoking bisquettes in my original well seasoned Bradley smoker we did add 1 teaspoon of garlic and 1 teaspoon of black pepper to the mix I know from past experience that this helps the flavor.

Matth

It appears you did this all in one day, meaning you went straight from stuffing to smoking.  Did you allow any rest time?  Other sausages or sticks I've made included a rest time to allow the cure to work, often over night.  However I don't see that rest time here or on the Lets-Make-Sausage site and the Dakota's Best Hot Dog recipe.  Trying to plan my Labor Day weekend with multiple smoking projects.  Thanks.

TMB

Look great!  Went to bookmark but the Bookmark button is missing on this thread.  It appears on other threads but not this one
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

oldsmoker

Bookmark button next to reply on my screen and works.
OLDSMOKER

TMB

Quote from: oldsmoker on August 23, 2016, 06:14:28 AM
Bookmark button next to reply on my screen and works.
Just not there, not sure why?

Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

AkBillyBow

I have made many batches of wieners, but all in the natural casing so far.  I really like the natural casing look and "snap".  I have been considering making some skinless hotdogs though.  After reading you post last night, I went directly to The Sausage Maker and ordered up some 25 mm cellulose casings (and some other goodies of course).  I am looking forward to trying a batch of skinless hotdogs!!

Thanks for the posting....AkBillyBow

AkBillyBow

Well, I tried my first batch of skinless dogs, and they turned out great!!  It was my first time using cellulose casings.  I found them easy to work with, and very clean compared to natural casing...which are all wet and salty.  It kept the countertop nice and dry!!

Thanks for the heads-up on the link for the casings!!

AkBillyBow