Old, ( I mean really old) meat.

Started by Roget, May 13, 2016, 07:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roget

Please don't ridicule me for asking this. I know it may sound ridiculous.
Today I was looking in one of my freezers for something to smoke tomorrow. At the very bottom I found some meat I had processed at a local locker plant. I have some beef hamburger patties and  some pork spare ribs.
The date on the packages is 1994!!! That is 22 years!!!
Ok, now that we have all had a good laugh can someone please advise me if this meat will still be safe to eat? If it is safe I will absolutely try to eat it. (Yes, I am that cheap). I thought that if it is safe that by smoking it I might be able to mask any adverse flavor. It looks ok. Just a little freezer burned on the edge.
Have any of you ever had the opportunity (or desire) to try anything close to this old? I know conventional wisdom would dictate that this be thrown out, but I hate to toss it if it is still safe. (& edible) I have several packages of each, so it is a lot of meat to waste.   
YCDBSOYA

watchdog56

WOW that is old. I myself would throw it out. My guess it is going to be so dried out even when you smoke it. If you do it let us know.
Oh and try the meat without any ketchup, mustard or BBQ sauce and see how it is.

cathouse willy

save yourself the disappointment in the taste and possible food poisoning. Throw it out.

Aschenbrenner

Maybe your local zoo will take it for animal food!
Calgary

Cookshack PG1000 pellet smoker :)
Bradley DBS
Weber Genesis

TMB

Toss it  :o :o :o   Not worth getting sick
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Habanero Smoker

According to the USDA freezing keeps meat safe indefinitely. Storage times are for quality of the meat. After thawing, they recommend that you inspect the meat for odor. Also the fats may become rancid. If the meat is good, it is best used for stews and soups. But I don't believe they were talking about after 22 year.  ;D

The below link gives you a lot of information on freezing foods safely. When you get to the site click on "Freezer Storage Times". Safety also depends on proper storage, so also click on "Freezer and Refrigerator Temperatures.

Freezing and Food Safety

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Roget

So you all are going to take my wife's side huh? LOL
YCDBSOYA

beefmann

I do agree with most here,,, 22 year old meat is not worth getting  food poisoning, loosing time off of  work and feeling crappy,,,, toss the  meat

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Roget on May 13, 2016, 01:54:41 PM
So you all are going to take my wife's side huh? LOL

I'm on the fence. I kind of left it up to you. ;D ;D ;D

The USDA is overly cautious about food safety. If it was properly handled prior to freezing, and it was maintained at 0°F  or lower it should be safe. The taste may be the problem. :) Though there is a question; does the 22 years falls within the USDA's definition as "almost indefinitely". ;D ;D ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jesse_sanders

Have you ever had food poisoning? Through that stuff away man. Go buy some meat from this decade and save yourself the vomiting and everything else that goes along with it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Roget

Actually I have. Had food poisoning, I mean.
It is not fun.
Mama always told me not to waste food, but mama isn't here to scold me, God rest her soul. So I think I will take the advice from those here to give it to me and throw it away.
Well, I might try just one of the beef patties.
Thanks for your good advice.
YCDBSOYA