New to Smoking, new to Bradley

Started by NewQrMN, May 18, 2016, 08:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewQrMN

Hey smoke xperts. Hello from MN.

Like I said in the title, I am new to smoking and new to Bradley Smokers. I just bought a new in the box 6 rack digital unit from a friend. After digging a little deeper, I am seeing that it is more than just a set it and forget it unit as he told me. No big deal, I'm up for the challenge.  :)  Just looking for any advice, tips or tricks from people that have been there. Purchased with the intent on using it on venison and wild turkey but anticipate branching into pork butts, briskets and ribs..... I have already ordered a Maverick ET732 thermometer and some aluminum pucks. Any advise from opening the box to the very first smoke would be appreciated... Thanks in advance!!

watchdog56

Hello fellow MN'er. Welcome to the forum. Season smoker as per instruction booklet and your addiction will begin. As far as venison, the only thing I do with that is make my own sausage. Unfortunately the smoker has a temp swing of +/- 20 degree so that is tough to control so I bought a PID (programmable integrated device) that keeps temps at +/- 2 degree. You don't want your sausage to get over 175 degree or it will get to hot and a cause a fat out situation which will make your sausage dry. I do a lot of ribs and pro butts and they are excellent. Even do prime rib which comes out great. Check out the site and don;t be afraid to ask questions. We have all done the same. No question is stupid here. You might want to get a back up heating element which cost around $25 from Yard and pool. It sucks when you are doing a smoke and you element goes out,trust me been there.

NewQrMN

Awesome. That's what I am looking for. What do you recommend for a PID?

Thanks WD!!

TedEbear

The two most popular ones for the Bradley are shown below.

Programmable PID Controller for Electric Smoker (single probe)

Dual-Probe PID Controller for Bradley Smoker

If you like to tinker, there are less expensive options.  You can buy an internal PID controller that fits in either a project box or some people have mounted it in the smoke generator.  Total cost on that one with everything to make it work is around $70-$80.

watchdog56

I bought mine on line for about $150. Worth the money but if you have some knowledge of electrical you can build your own and save a lot. Here is  a link to building your own.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?315-PID-Controller

Gafala

Auber PID'S are the best I have had mine for three years money well spent, my understanding is that Auber will have WiFi PID's later this year.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

TedEbear

Here's the Auber PID setup I installed in my smoke generator.  I think I spent around $70 for the PID, TC and a few other things to get it all to work.  I remember seeing a pic a few years ago where someone had installed one in his digital Bradley SG.

NewQrMN