Maple Sugar Cure

Started by 300saum, May 22, 2016, 12:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

300saum

Has anyone made there own maple sugar cure?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

manfromplaid

there is a maple sugar cure that tenpoint 5 posted for making bacon.
2 oz kosher salt
2 tsp cure#1(pink salt)
1/4 cup maple sugar or brown sugar ( I use maple sugar)
1\4 cup maple syrup
combine dry and mix then add syrup
this is enough to do a 5lb belly

Gafala

This is what I used the last time I made bacon. It came out great.

Maple Cured Bacon
CURE MIX FOR 5 LBS. (2.25 KG) OF BACON
3 Tbsp (45 ml) Bradley Maple Cure (Do not use more than this amount.)
1 tsp. (5 ml) onion granules or onion powder
1 tsp. (5 ml) garlic granules or garlic powder
1 tsp. (5 ml) white pepper or Crack Pepper
maple syrup (optional) 1 to 3 Tbsp.
imitation maple flavor (optional) 1/2 to 1 tsp.
Note: If the meat weighs either more or less than 5 pounds (2.25 kg), the amount of cure mix applied must be proportional to that weight. For example, if the weight of the meat is 2 1/2 pounds (1.25 kg), then each ingredient, including the Bradley Cure, needs to be cut in half.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

If you want to make your Maple Sugar Cure from scratch; the basic formula for making a premix cure that can used by itself as a curing agent is 2 parts salt, 1 part sugar plus 10% of their combined weight of cure #1. No additional salt or sugar is needed, though other herbs and spices can be used as flavor.

If you take a look at the Basic Dry Cure Recipe that gives you a recipe for the formula. Depending on what type of Maple sugar you are using; powdered or granulate; the density (volume measurement) may be different; so you should use weight instead of volume to measure how much cure you need to apply to the meat. Also if you use any salt other than pickling/canning salt (table salt grain size), that will also change the density. I always use ingredients with similar grain size so they are less likely to separate. You may want to add a mixture of brown sugar and maple sugar. I find the brown sugar boosts the taste of the maple. Also I would make small batches of this cure. Make only what you need for the moment. If not the maple sugar and brown sugar (if added) will harden over time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

300saum

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk