How to get more smoke flavor.

Started by icerat4, August 16, 2006, 02:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattmilw

VMMike-

My Bradley experience has been simillar to yours. It's easy to use, produces very tender, moist meat, but there just isn't much in the way of smoke flavor. From what I've read on this forum, some prefer a lesser level of smoke flavoring, whereas I prefer it to be more pronounced. I'm not looking for an overpowering flavor, but I don't want any doubt that the meat came out of a smoker. I've tried mesquite, and I agree it's the strongest flavored bisquite, but it still doesn't impart the amount of flavoring that my old wood burning smoker did.

My solution at this point is to pull a finished butt, place it in a foil pan, and put it back into the Bradley at a low temp, and smoke it for another hour. This improves the smoke flavoring a bit.

I read this forum regularly, and follow the advice of it's dedicated participants, but I'm still not quite there.  I am haviing fun trying to find a solution though.

icerat4

I have no problem tasting the smoke .Its gota be this personal taste bud deal. ;D.Maybe too much drinking paint thinner killed the buds.Use the devils wood and go longer on the smoke this should help i would think.Just my 3 cents. 8)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

kiyotei

hey manxman, thanks for the links on food poisoning.  I found them very intersting.  I've had some bad luck with getting sick eating at restaurants and friends houses so I'm a bit paranoid now a days.

TomG

Quote from: kiyotei on October 11, 2006, 09:00:46 PM
According to Webber, the smoke will not retard things like botulism (which flourishes in anaerobic environments).

How anerobic is the BS oven while smoking?

Arcs_n_Sparks

oh oh, getting technical now....... Need a drink........ :D :D :D

Since you need enough oxygen to oxidize the pucks (that is what burning is about), I suspect it is not a fully anaerobic environment. With smoke coming out the vent, air is coming, it is probably not a stoichiometric (ouch!!!!!) mixture. Of course, it could be oxygen starved, and you would be okay.

Let see.....another drink.....let's get some oxygen sensors....... another drink.....he11, you guys figure it out...... ??? ???

Arcs_n_Sparks

manxman

QuoteHow anerobic is the BS oven while smoking?

Strangely enough I had the same conversation with someone over the weekend, my partner is a microbiologist and shares my interest in smoking. She helped me by proof reading the food poisoning articles for example. ;D

We basically came to the same decision as arcs n' sparks, it is probably a reduced oxygen enviroment but not anaerobic.

Not that we spent too much time discussing it, there are more pressing things in life!!  ;D

Manxman