How to get more smoke flavor.

Started by icerat4, August 16, 2006, 02:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomG

Robs,   Is it possible that you live in a Smoke-Free Zone ??? ::) ::)

icerat4

That was funny tom .Good one ;D :D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

robs

Ok, thanks really funny, but not much help! I need smoke flavor! Seriously, do I have a bad smoke gen?

I got way more flavor out of my little chief  :-X

Oldman

More smoke flavor... I can turn a piece of meat into an ash tray..... I would call Bradley and see if they cna help you.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

robs

Quote from: Oldman on August 29, 2006, 12:29:01 PM
More smoke flavor... I can turn a piece of meat into an ash tray..... I would call Bradley and see if they cna help you.
Olds

Thanks Olds. This really doesn't sound right, does it? I have the same result nomatter what I smoke: pork, beef, etc.

I allways give it 5 hours of smoke and I can never taste any smoke.

Habanero Smoker

I would call Bradley. Fifteen pucks is a lot. If you or anyone else can't taste any smoke, especially hickory then there is something wrong. It looks as if your heating pad on the generator is not getting hot enough to generate smoke as it was designed to do and it is probable just hot enough to char your pucks. My generator turns my pucks completely black throughout. How much smoke do you observe coming out of the vent?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

I think Hab is on to something. When I was playing around with voltage drops on the generator I could burn a biscuit at a lot lower temp and voltage than was normal. Like Old's said I can get the meat like burnt tree bark if I want to. I just did some pastrami last week and only 4 hours of smoke and it was plenty smokey tasting. Dang, I'm drooling again Habs. I'm just guessing your burner plate is weak from the sounds of it. (This has happened to others). Best to call Bradley and just have them replace the generator and get back to smoking. ;)

Habanero Smoker

One other thought, did this problem begin before or after you hooked up you PID? I would trouble shoot first and run the BS without the PID.

Iceman, now you got me thinking about the pastrami; you are going to make me make an extra trip to Sam's to get a couple of flats.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

robs

Generator on it's way. I'll keep you posted with the results.

Thanks guys.

robs

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 29, 2006, 01:33:40 PM
One other thought, did this problem begin before or after you hooked up you PID? I would trouble shoot first and run the BS without the PID.

Iceman, now you got me thinking about the pastrami; you are going to make me make an extra trip to Sam's to get a couple of flats.

I haven't been using the PID. But I can't tell you why just yet.... ;)

Like I said (or didn't I) I've had this smoker for 8 months and have never tasted the smoke....

rob

iceman

Forgot to mention robs, if you have a IR thermometer shoot the burner plate. It should read 420f to 460f under normal conditions. Lower than that and you'll get the type of burn you were talking about.

robs

Quote from: iceman on August 29, 2006, 01:55:32 PM
Forgot to mention robs, if you have a IR thermometer shoot the burner plate. It should read 420f to 460f under normal conditions. Lower than that and you'll get the type of burn you were talking about.

Very good idea. Thanks for the input.

bubbagump

If wired correctly the PID should not control the burner plate at all. It runs independant of the PID.

Bubbagump

robs

Quote from: bubbagump on August 29, 2006, 04:41:38 PM

If wired correctly the PID should not control the burner plate at all. It runs independant of the PID.

Bubbagump

This is true. Using the diagram I supplied, the puck burner is not affected.

MallardWacker

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...