Advice Please

Started by cherrybergher, May 26, 2016, 12:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cherrybergher

So today I learned a few valuable lessons, Never under estimate the value of your probe thermometer, and always when doing something bacon wrapped in addition to smoking some excellent sausage from the butcher, use a secondary drip tray.  i'm sitting in my backyard with my smoker,  i'm 2hrs into a 3hr cook and all is going well, my temp was holding nice and steady around 225.   When suddenly my temperature alarm (265) goes off on my probe after I hear some pronounced sizzling which I know is not good.  Poof the temps shoots up, and I discover an aspiring flame on the Vtray up against the back wall.  Lesson learned, take the time to add a secondary tray, and sometimes it pays to babysit it just a bit.  Fortunately, no damage to any part of the machine.

As a bonus the stuffed green bell peppers were excellent, and the sausage that I was doing in advance for fathers day was saved and was likely in the top 3 of the best I've ever done.  We're expecting thunderstorms here tomorrow so no smoking till early Monday when it's my 2nd pork butt.

Any questions, advice or suggestions on multi tasking like this are always welcome. ;)
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

Toker

Hi, this thing fixed this situation for me.

cherrybergher

That's terrific Toker, where did you get that tray from?
BDS 4 Rack

Toker

cherrybergher

Thanks very much Toker
BDS 4 Rack

Toker

It also helps to even the temp inside the tower.

cherrybergher

So the buttons on my digital display stopped working today, I contacted Bradley and they are sending me a new display.  Question is; how difficult is it to replace the display on a digital smoker, I have only used the unit perhaps a dozen times, and I'm just wondering if perhaps it is merely dirty.  I didn't want to open the generator before speaking with bradley fearing it may void my warranty. 

I reviewed the "how to" off of the susanarmor website and those directions seem straightforward

Otherwise all the components are working well, including all the other parts of the generator.

Any suggestions or advice always welcome
BDS 4 Rack

Habanero Smoker

It should be fairly easy. If you have downloaded the recipe site recipes, and GS Read, open the file. Navigate to

"Bradley Smoker FAQ's" -->
"Digital Smokers Model" -->
"Why won't my Digital Bradley Smoker turn on; (either the smoke generator or the main cabinet)?".

There will be some instructions there, plus links to how to open the generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cherrybergher

thanks habs, I'll give that section a look
BDS 4 Rack

TedEbear

The recipe site is still online, you just have to click on an archived version that includes the FAQ's.

Here's one:  Bradley Smoker FAQ's

Habanero Smoker

You're welcome.

The reason I'm referring to other sources, and writing up the responses is because I don't know how long that backup will exist, and don't want to possibly create more broken links, if that alternate site is brought down.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack

TedEbear

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 08, 2016, 02:13:08 AM
The reason I'm referring to other sources, and writing up the responses is because I don't know how long that backup will exist, and don't want to possibly create more broken links, if that alternate site is brought down.

I guess we could also give them links to the recipe files in this thread, which contain the actual recipes, FAQs, user modifications, pics, etc.  As long as Google Drive never goes away, the Recipe_v4 file that I uploaded there will always be available.  I'll never take it down.

Recipe_v4

Recipe_v5

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TedEbear on September 10, 2016, 02:51:38 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 08, 2016, 02:13:08 AM

I guess we could also give them links to the recipe files in this thread, which contain the actual recipes, FAQs, user modifications, pics, etc.  As long as Google Drive never goes away, the Recipe_v4 file that I uploaded there will always be available.  I'll never take it down.

Recipe_v4

Recipe_v5

Just a reminder that those files are of no use unless the user also downloads and installs the GS Reader. Which should be done first.
GS Read v2.8

After the recipe site went down I quickly remembered the phrase "Never say never." :(

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cherrybergher

Wondering if you finish your pork butt in the house on 225-235 is it necessary to foil wrap at any point? or can I do it as I would do my butt in the bradley (no foil) for the entire cook?

When I do mine in the bradley, we just put it in and spritz once after aprox 3 hrs, and then shut the door and let the magic happen.

Any pointers welcome and appreciated

Thanks
BDS 4 Rack