Advice Please

Started by cherrybergher, May 26, 2016, 12:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

At 225°F - 235°F, you do not need to foil or spritz.

Just additional advice. I've been a KCBS judge since 2009, and have seen a lot of changes going on in competition barbecue. Many teams are switching to "hot" and fast and getting very good results. "Hot" and fast could be temperatures ranging from 275°F - 325°F; so you may want to try a higher temperature once you transfer the butt into the kitchen oven, but with these temperatures you need to place the butt in a pan, and cover with foil. I know of one team that is barbecuing his back ribs at 350°F, and is winning; a lot.

I have hot in quotation marks, because in the culinary field (depending on source), any temperature up to 300°F is considered slow cooking. If you look are pulled pork recipes that are designed to cook in your kitchen oven, they are using temperatures of 325°F - 350°F

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cherrybergher

Thanks as always Habs, I appreciate the insight very much
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

cherrybergher

So It's been just about a year, and I discovered this after I wasn't getting the usual response from my 4 rack today.  Fortunately, no expensive meat was lost as it was just stuffed peppers and some sausage (all edible)

As you can see just over 100 after about 30mins

I guess it's time for a replacement element, i'm just trying to source one locally before I order two (so I have a spare for next time) It doesn't sound difficult.  I found this on the recipe site FAQ.

Bradley Smoker FAQ's - Answers
Submitted by: Brian

Q. How do I change the heating element?

A. Compliments of Brian; Bradley Tech.
Replacing the heat element is a fairly easy task.
Start by UNPLUGING THE SMOKER FROM THE WALL OUTLET.

Open the smoker door and remove the four Phillip's head screws (two in each side of the white porcelain insulators)

Take a good look as to how the wire guard and reflector are installed and remove them. If you have a digital camera take a picture of how it is assembled prior to removing them.

Gently pull the heat element out slightly about 1 inch or so (don't pull to far or you will pull the wires off the plug in the rear of the tower)

Remove the nut on each end of the heat element and remove the element. If you have a multimeter, after removing the heat element you can check it. If you get a reading of 27 - 32 OHMs, your heat element is good. If it is good, something else is causing the problem.

To install the new element reverse the above steps.

BE CAREFULL WHEN TIGHTENING THE SCREWS ON THE INSULATORS THEY ONLY NEED TO BE SNUG.

If your new element does not work double check that you didn't pull a wire off the back plug.

I don't own a multi meter so hopefully this works.   If anyone has anything to add I'm all ears.  Thanks!

BDS 4 Rack

Habanero Smoker

It is easy to change them.

I always thought that the element just blew out light a incandescent bulb, not generally fade out. At least the one failure I had just blew out. Though it seem you do have more darken areas on the end than usual.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cherrybergher

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 31, 2017, 01:52:12 AM
It is easy to change them.

I always thought that the element just blew out light a incandescent bulb, not generally fade out. At least the one failure I had just blew out. Though it seem you do have more darken areas on the end than usual.

Thanks Habs, I'll let you know how I make out
BDS 4 Rack

TedEbear

If you have a multimeter, remove the wire off one end and check the resistance across the element.  A good element will show around 27-32 ohms across it.

cherrybergher

Thanks for the pic Ted
BDS 4 Rack

cherrybergher

So my wife did a great job replacing what I now feel was a weak element from the factory when I fist got the smoker.  This is what 250 degrees looks like in about 35mins with no puck burner on

Thanks for the tips

BDS 4 Rack

cherrybergher

So I've had my digital 4 rack for just over a year.  I've done about 5 or 6 butts (of the 6, 2 were great the rest were just ok) all separately, till yesterday.

I did two simultainiously, (both 6.5lbs) this one in the picture took 11:40 mins started on the 3rd rack from the top

(for the first 7 hrs then I moved it down one spot after I took the bottom one out.  I think that was a that was a mistake)

I did the second one on the 4th rack, and it was at 200 degrees in just over 7 hrs but was underdone when we went to pull it after resting it.  My Igrill2 read the temp between 225-240, above the top butt.  So I estimated that it was likely hotter (260ish) for the lower one.  I didn't use a foil drip pan as I find them too heat restrictive.  The one in the picture turned out great.  Just a bit darker than I wanted (but tasted excellent, texture was ok too) 

Was it just a matter of that bottom butt getting too hot too fast, it didn't even stall? Is there a secret to doing them at the same time?  Or should I just do one at a time?

I welcome your input
BDS 4 Rack

Habanero Smoker

If you are cooking multiples butts in the Bradley, rotating the butts top to bottom, and rotating the trays 180 degrees is very important. If doing more then one butt I would rotate every four hours, and change the water bowl, when I am awake. For overnights I would rotate before going to bed, and I would rarely sleep more than six hours when doing an overnight cook. Then check the butts, if not done, rotate again.

For cuts like butts, brisket and ribs, I go by doness not temperature. I use temperature as a guide, and will check for doness with a fork. If the fork slides in easily and twist, the butt is ready. A variation of this, many use the temperature probe, and when it slides in and out like a hot knife going through butter; they consider that done.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cherrybergher

Thanks for the tips Habs, very much appreciated, I've always been curious about multiple items.  I rotate for ribs, but have been curious about butts.  And would you wrap in foil also if you were staisfied with the color?
BDS 4 Rack

Habanero Smoker

I'm kind of subjective when I smoke/roast my butts in the Bradley. It is one of the few items I will still barbeque in the Bradley. I just can't duplicate the flavor profiles I get smoking pork butts in the Bradley as I would using my charcoal cookers. Therefore; to get the flavors I want I never foil my butts when using the Bradley; but if you are having problems you mentioned, foiling will most likely help.

The method I use is to preheat the Bradley to 225°F - 250°F. Place the butt(s) in the Bradley, and set the temperature to 200°F. Smoke/roast - rotating if you have multiple butts. When the internal temperature reaches 175°F (measured in several areas) start testing for doness; using the fork method. When I had the single element; nine times out of ten they would be done at this point. Since adding the second element, I have to past 175°F, but usually don't have to go any higher than 180°F. I feel this give the pork a better texture, never dry or mushy. There may be a few fat pockets left that need to be discarded.

For pulled pork the color doesn't matter to me as much as the flavor of the bark. Before shredding the butt I "shave" the bark off. I next use a sharp knife, chop the bark into small pieces, and add the chopped bark back into the pulled pork. If I'm pulling multiple butts, after shaving the bark off, I place the bark in a food processor, and chop it until it is in smaller bits. I don't like chopping it too fine; maybe about 1/4" squares.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cherrybergher

tremendous advice, thank you my friend
BDS 4 Rack