First Cook on a 4 Rack

Started by J-Lo, May 29, 2016, 02:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Lo

Seasoned last night.  Everything looks to be working fine.  Want to do 2X 6# whole chickens on stand up racks from Cabela's tomorro.  I notice a lot of the poultry pics on the forum have chickens being done laid flat on a rack.  Anyone have any experience using these stand up (beer can) racks? Based on what I've read, I'm thinking 4 hours with smoke for the first 2 and then finish in the oven to crisp the skin.  Rubs and marinades are on and they are in the fridge.  I am open to any and all feedback/input.  Thanks for the help.

John

manfromplaid

chicken can suck up a lot of smoke flavor. better start with less and work your way up if you like it stronger. less smoke is still edible. try 2 hrs first time and then change up for next smoke. to finish in the oven is a good way to crisp up the bird and I just set my chicken on the rack so that choice is what you feel comfortable with.  find the recipe for jans rub and many other fine things on this site  http://www.susanminor.org/   good luck and have fun

cherrybergher

I've been wondering about that too, looking forward to hear how you make out.  What type of wood are you using?
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

Grouperman941

'Beer can' racks work great. 4 hours of smoke from the Bradley is a lot for chicken, which really absorbs the flavor. Depends on your tastes, though.

I like strong smoke, and I do 3 hours on a whole chicken. It is sometimes too much for some family members.  Manfromplaid's plan is a good one.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

J-Lo

Great advice.  Will dial back the smoke to 2 hours.  Any thoughts on temp?  I was thinking 250 but I've read a little about staged cooking on this forum with gradually increasing temp.  Not sure what that's all about yet. 

KyNola

I would recommend the 250 degree temp for cooking poultry.  You want to move the poultry up through the "danger zone" as quickly as possible.  The staged cooking procedure is generally used for things like smoking sausages, sticks and bacon so you don't render the fat out of the product.

Good luck and let us know how they turn out.

Salmonsmoker

Use the beer can rack without the beer can. The "can" is a gimmick and actually prevents the heat from getting your chicken through the danger zone in a timely manner.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

J-Lo

OK - so far so good.  Preheated - took about 35 mins to get to 250.  Bird was 58 when I put it on - brought it out of fridge to warm up but will do earlier next time to let it get a little warmer.  Smoker struggled to recover to 250 for about an hour but internal temp of bird came up fast.  Ran smoke for 2 hours but had a little trouble getting it to stop - some leftover puck just kept smoking even though it was off.  Didn't want to open the door to fuss with it too much.  Pulled them off and tented them at 168 internal temp - took 3 hours 50 mins.  Will work on posting pics.  We're eating in a little while - will let you know how they are.

J-Lo

Well - taste was great.  Birds seem to lose the taste of the rub seasonings and spices with all the smoke but it was still good.  Not too much smoke.  Butchered them and noticed that some of the deep breast meet had a very soft texture.  Juices ran clear and there was no pink.  Probe was in the thigh but it still needed some extra time.   I planed on a little oven time anyway for the skin so put all pieces in a large roaster and hit them with 375 for about 15 mins.  Turned out great - fixed the skin and the texture.  All in all, not a bad first time out.  Thanks to all for the advice and pointers.

cherrybergher

J-Lo, those look really tasty, I might try something like this on the weekend.
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

manfromplaid

from the photo it appears there is no water in the water bowl. it is used to collect any run off grease and prevent flairups from still burning pucks.

KyNola

You need to fill the water bowl with water.  In addition to it keeping down the chance of a fire by grease dripping on those hot pucks, it also extinguishes the pucks, preventing them from continuing to smoke, smolder and impart a bitter taste.

Smoker John

Those look good, I agree with the others get water into the bowl  :)
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

J-Lo

Thanks guys and you are right.  I started with water in the bowl but it was spent about halfway through when I opened the door to take this pic.  Filled it right afterward.  Good eyes.