Smoked MAC & Cheese

Started by Shasta bob, May 29, 2016, 04:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasta bob

all, I am wondering about smoking a mac & cheese meal in the Bradley, have you guys done this? I was thinking about smoking the ham pieces and the onion before including it to the mix? any help before I just jump in?
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Wildcat

Cold Smoke cheese then after a few months make mac and cheese. If you like ham in it, then you can also smoke a ham to add to it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gafala

Smoking a Mac & Cheese meal I wouldn't, cheese needs to rest after smoking at least 30 days, the longer the better.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Salmonsmoker

SB, yes, you can definitely smoke the onions and ham before combining all of the ingredients. After combining, smoke the mac & cheese in the Bradley.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Shasta bob

Do you recommend cooking times? have you done this before?
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

KyNola

I would recommend you make your cheese sauce ahead of time and pour it over your pasta prior to placing it in the smoker.  Don't put shredded cheese on top as it indeed will taste bitter coming straight out of your Bradley.

Salmonsmoker

Onions absorb smoke quickly. I only give them 20-30 min. of cold smoke spread thin on a frog mat to allow smoke through. Same for cured ham. I'd dice it to the size pieces you want, also on a frog mat(or anything else you have that will allow smoke through and keep items from falling though, SS screen or cheese cloth for instance). Time in the smoker after combining all of the ingredients( with the cheese melted before putting back in the smoker) will depend on depth of mac in the pan. Probably at least a third longer time wise than a 350F oven. It'll pick up some nice smoke flavor, but most likely won't brown up on top. You can do that with a few minutes under the broiler in your kitchen oven.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Shasta bob

you guys are the best thanks for all the info. this what make this site a real gem, everyone willing to help others. thanks Shasta Bob
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner