Smoking first bear loin - suggestions?

Started by DaveA37, June 02, 2016, 06:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveA37

A friend gave me a 5# bear loin which I plan to smoke.  Any suggestions?

Orion

Bear meat is good providing the bear was not eating garbage or fish. Do you have an idea where the bear was taken? I will only hunt bears that are either isolated from developed areas or those that are feeding in orchards.

When cooking bear it is important to ensure you reach the correct internal temperature and that the meat holds that temperature for at least 10 minutes. You need to attain a minimum of 74C or 165F.

As far as preparation, I would suggest rinsing it well and pat dry. Trim any silver skin and fat. Then put a few incisions in the loin and insert slivers of fresh garlic. Rub entire loin with olive oil and sprinkle with steak spice. Cover with thin slices of fresh apple and wrap with 4 or 5 slices of bacon pinned in place with toothpicks.

Pre heat smoker to 140F and run for 1 hour with loin inside. Then apply 3 hours apple wood smoke at 160F. Then bump temp to 180-190 and monitor loin until it reach's correct IT.

I have attached a guide for required temperatures from CFSA. It lists everything you need to know about temps and meat.

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/eating-nutrition/healthy-eating-saine-alimentation/safety-salubrite/tips-conseils/cook-temperatures-cuisson-eng.php

Please let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out. Good luck 
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Orion

Forgot to mention that you should allow the loin to come up to room temp just before preparation. This will allow the smoker to get it up to temperature faster. Also, if it stalls in temp as you try to get to 74C you can either crank smoker temp up or finish in a hot oven.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

GaryM

Thanks for the post! I have a hind leg of a bear in my freezer. I intend to thaw it and smoke it next weekend. <salivating>