Questions about Bark, the Crutch and the Stall

Started by J-Lo, June 05, 2016, 06:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Lo

About 4.5 hours in with 11 pound brisket at 225.  Meat already at 150.  Smoke cycle completed at 4 hours.  If I crutch it now, won't the bark stop developing.  It's not looking black yet.  Does the bark continue to develop I crutched?  Something seems off with timing.  I know the stall will slow it down but I didn't expect it to be at 150 this fast.

Ka Honu

When you "crutch" brisket, especially in foil (vs. paper), you're essentially steaming/braising which willl speed the rise in IT and possibly make the meat a bit more tender. The tradeoff is that you lose most of the bark (it doesn't form when wet and what's already there softens). Think of the difference between a grilled hamburger and one wrapped in foil before cooking.

You can try using the crutch through the stall and then uncovering to finish to restore some of the bark or you can bite the bullet and smoke "naked" the whole time. Just make sure you keep the temp fairly level and the environment moist (I use a tray of hot water on the lowest shelf to help with both).

OBTW, I usually use another hour of smoke (total of five) for a big brisket on the Bradley.

J-Lo

Ka Honu - thanks for the tips.  I appreciate the moral support and experience.  I was thinking that was basically the choice but is good to confirm with someone who's done it before.  Think I'm going naked and hope not to dry it out.  Small oven (4 rack), full water tray and fingers crossed.  Will also throw another hours of smoke on it.