Some beefy jerky questions I've not found answers to yet

Started by Brosborough, June 06, 2016, 09:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brosborough

So in my reading I've come across a few things that were not quite clear to me.

The marinade tumblers.  Looks like it is not a necessity but every post I've read from those who have them swear by them.  So:

1.  Is there a preferred brand everyone has found to be really good?   One of the names I saw come up here is discontinued. I see several others on Amazon.  Can just base it off their user reviews but I kind of trust the user group here more.

2.  Would those tumblers stand up to meat with bones in them? Like pork chops for instance?   Or would tumbling bone in chops in Italian dressing crack that plastic all up?

3.  I'm guessing that these do the job fairly quickly so you don't have to worry about something like pork chops sitting on the counter too long to become a risk?

Ok, now on to more beef jerky type questions.

4.  With the use of a tumbler, cures are still used for strips of beef?  I don't know if I'll get into ground jerky chips just yet, I prefer the strips of beef for now.  Looks like I still need to use a cure on them though?

5.  Jerky racks don't seem to be sold any longer.  Guessing that is because the magic mats?  Or am I just real unlucky finding them for sale and keep looking?

6. Strange as it sounds, while I've found several recipes to try, times to smoke, and times to run without smoke, I never see anyone really say what smoke chips they found go best. I'm going to try and find an "original" flavor.  And then a teriyaki one.  Which smoke puck would do well for each of those?

gmosher70

I bought some aluminum angle iron from Lowes for about $15.00 and cut it to length for my Bradley. I put them on the top shelf support with all of the racks out. I can place three of these on the top "shelf" and hang jerky and sausages off of them. I love it, and it works well! Smoke it up!

tbdryer

Quote from: Brosborough on June 06, 2016, 09:41:08 PM
So in my reading I've come across a few things that were not quite clear to me.

The marinade tumblers.  Looks like it is not a necessity but every post I've read from those who have them swear by them.  So:

1.  Is there a preferred brand everyone has found to be really good?   One of the names I saw come up here is discontinued. I see several others on Amazon.  Can just base it off their user reviews but I kind of trust the user group here more.

2.  Would those tumblers stand up to meat with bones in them? Like pork chops for instance?   Or would tumbling bone in chops in Italian dressing crack that plastic all up?

3.  I'm guessing that these do the job fairly quickly so you don't have to worry about something like pork chops sitting on the counter too long to become a risk?

Ok, now on to more beef jerky type questions.

4.  With the use of a tumbler, cures are still used for strips of beef?  I don't know if I'll get into ground jerky chips just yet, I prefer the strips of beef for now.  Looks like I still need to use a cure on them though?

5.  Jerky racks don't seem to be sold any longer.  Guessing that is because the magic mats?  Or am I just real unlucky finding them for sale and keep looking?

6. Strange as it sounds, while I've found several recipes to try, times to smoke, and times to run without smoke, I never see anyone really say what smoke chips they found go best. I'm going to try and find an "original" flavor.  And then a teriyaki one.  Which smoke puck would do well for each of those?
I have left the Jerky making to my husband, his is amazing. He always cures the meat for at least 24 hours. He has done venison, beef, and goose, all in strips (haven't tried ground yet). I have him make some for demos quite often. The Jerky Racks are still available. We use both Jerky Racks and standard racks with the Magic Mats. I would say the Magic Mats are one of my "must haves". They are so easy to clean. We use the new Premium Bisquettes, Hunters Blend, on the Jerky. It is one of my top choices. Rosemary, Black Pepper, and Tyme infused into the Maple wood. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hotspur76

i just purchased a "marinade Express" tumbler, i usually let my jerky marinade for 48 hrs, I tumbled my jerky for 1 hour and the flavor was exactly same as 48 hrs, i just found my new jerky wife :)