My brisket is not turning out how I want, advice please.

Started by cragmor, June 09, 2016, 05:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cragmor

I can do so many things well, but a well done brisket eludes me. I can get good flavor, but for some reason it has the texture of a roast. I have recently learned about how to really pick a good brisket, so I will do that next in case this is a major factor in my failures. Otherwise, I know to get it to where the probe slides in like butter etc before calling it done. What is your opinion on the best temp to maintain for the duration of the smoke, if that will factor into the texture? Also, what other tricks should I be aware of to try to make the perfect brisket. I do smoke it with the fat up so it keeps the brisket moist. Do you do it on an upper or lower rack, how to you set the vent etc? Anything you can offer me in regards to texture would be greatly appreciated. I feel bad, a native Texan that cannot smoke a brisket. I do not even get a good smoke ring, though I have learned that is sort of a myth.
I will hang my head in shame and await any advice on getting the texture just right.
Thanks.

Habanero Smoker

I don't cook many briskets these days. In my area the price can be as high as $7/lb.

Can you describe the texture a little better. The texture of a medium rare roast is much different than a well done roast. Is it soft/mushy/fall apart? Is it slightly tough? Is it dry? Are you slicing against the grain?

What internal temperature are you taking your brisket to?

In the Bradley, if I'm only smoking a brisket, I will use the second rails from the bottom, and shot for a cabinet temperature between 215°F - 225°F.

There are some good tips on brisket in the below link; from a fellow Texan.
Brisket Pachanga

You can't get a smoke ring from you Bradley by smoking with the bisquettes.
Why Can't I Get A Smoke Ring In The Bradley

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)