Add PID to the BS611

Started by noremacyug, June 01, 2016, 12:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noremacyug

I just picked up the BS611 this past weekend and like it a lot. Have my second Boston Butt in it now smoking. Whilst I think it maintains a pretty consistent temp as is, the idea of being able to mod it and have tighter control is definitely appealing. So, I was curious what I'd need in order to add one of the Auber PIDs I see mentioned on here. I'm assuming the PID, a SSR and thermocouple?  How are people mounting them?  I'd want to remove the factory temp knob and install it in that space. Is that possible or are there parts in the smoke generator that would prevent that location?  I'm definitely new to smoking, the Bradley brand and modding a cooking device. But, I'm a nerd at heart and feel plenty up to the task. I'm handy with a solder iron if need be and confident I can do it. I'll just definitely need some help from you guys. I want the PID to look as factory finish as possible. Any pics of the BS611 with Auber installed?

KyNola

Before you start spending the cash on modifications I would suggest you run your smoker "as is" for a while to get past the learning curve.  You may find you really don't need tighter controls.  If you are going to smoke fresh sausages, bacon or fish, tighter temp controls are needed but if you are going to cook garden variety meats such as butts, briskets, ribs, chicken, etc tight temperature control is not really required.

One other thing to consider is if you modify your new Bradley your warranty is null and void.

I will yield to the pro-modification members suggestions for you.

cathouse willy

I use an outboard pid mounted in a project box. The down side of removing the control knob aside from voiding your warranty is that if your pid has problems your smoker is down as well.With an outboard installation you simply reroute the power cables and you're back in business.

TedEbear

Quote from: noremacyug on June 01, 2016, 12:08:14 AMI want the PID to look as factory finish as possible. Any pics of the BS611 with Auber installed?

Here's my setup.  That was before they moved the temp control to a knob on the SG.  I did it mainly because I like to tinker.  I also have two 500W elements inside.  Remember, you'll void your warranty if you do any of this.   ;)

PID Controller

Additional Heating Element Modification

Additional Heating Element for OBS with On/Off Control

noremacyug

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll prolly hold off for a bit on the mod. But it'll definitely be in the back of my mind. I almost bought the digital model just because I'd like to be able to put in the temp I need and not have to keep going out to monitor due to varying outdoor conditions. But the smoker has done great thus far as is. The tinkerer in me will likely get the better of me though... eventually.