"Smoke Dial Generator" output to "Smoke Tower"

Started by callsign.BULL, June 11, 2016, 05:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callsign.BULL

I have acquired a new BS611.  After setting it up, it seemed that the red jewel OFF light was not responding to the heat dial (the light in the ON/OFF rocker switch was illuminated). Once the day got a little darker and I could see that the OFF light was working and its intensity followed the heat dial (VERY dimly at first), I began to wonder where on the dial the heat power first came on. I put a multimeter on the output to the smoke tower and discovered that it is putting out 57.8 VAC, even with the dial in the full OFF position (the full HIGH position reads 119.6 VAC). Bradley C.S. (if they really understood my question) said that it was normal. Could that be so?? One should assume that OFF means OFF. Could I have some mechanical interference that prevents the rheostat from rotating to truly OFF??

BULL       

Habanero Smoker

Hi BULL;

Welcome to the forum.

I agree that "OFF" should be off. I would give them a follow up call on Monday, to make sure they understood your question correctly.

If there is a reason for a trickle of electrical current in the "OFF" position, they should be able to explain why.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

callsign.BULL

A phone call to Bradley C.S./tech indicated that, No it is not normal. The resolution is that they are shipping a new control unit and did not ask that the faulty one be returned first - or, at all.

BULL

Habanero Smoker

They generally will ask you to destroy it, but I haven't seen any members posting that Bradley requested that for sometime. The old generator will come in handy for parts if you need them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

callsign.BULL

I s'pose I could isolate the faulty jumper output, and contrive a remote cold-smoke unit.

BULL

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

callsign.BULL

Well, Bradley quickly sent me a new controller.  It acts the same as the original one - 56 VAC on the jumper cable when the heat control is in the "OFF" position.  I took a look-see inside and particularly at the heat controller.  The multimeter argues that it is a variable resistor/potentiometer.  And it is not a very high quality one at that; it builds resistance at an unsteady rate across its range.  Anyway, the wiring disappears directly into a central control box, as does everything else.  So, dunno.

BULL

Habanero Smoker

I'm not that familiar with the BS611. It seems like it doesn't have a full off position, or they may have gotten a bad batch or controllers.

Does the element produces any heat at all, when the dial is in the off position?

If it is drawing that much electricity when not in use, I would keep it unplugged, and only plug it in while in use.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

callsign.BULL

Power ON and heat OFF doesn't produce any noticeable heat (right end, away from the hot biskit heater). With the heat control turned past the detent and on the first increment of the scale, some heat is felt. This, with the original controller.  It is practical for use as-is, so I probably don't need to disconnect the jumper.  It is just odd to me that OFF isn't really OFF.  At least the female heater outlet and jumper cable end are constructed so that there isn't much danger off getting a heist off of it.  I'll keep the new controller up my sleeve.

BULL