Smoking versus Cooking Salmon

Started by orion39, August 05, 2016, 04:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orion39

Last week I was making smoked teriyaki salmon.  I hot smoked not to exceed 120 F for 4 hours. Every hour I would take it out and spritz with the teriyaki marinade.  The salmon was cut into strips and was hanging.  After about 2 hours the salmon was very tasty. It had the smoke taste but was very moist, but not yet finished smoking. In the future  I want to prepare salmon fillets for a meal and cook them laying down.  I do not want to go the full smoking process as it will be consumed immediately. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for this?  My preference of smoke is Alder or Apple.  Also for a choice of salmon between King, Sockeye and Atlantic which one is better suited for teriyaki salmon.  I prefer an oily fish.  What other fish might be good for teriyaki smoking and which wood to use?

Thanks and Regards

Leonard

Gafala

Quote from: orion39 on August 05, 2016, 04:03:33 PM
Last week I was making smoked teriyaki salmon.  I hot smoked not to exceed 120 F for 4 hours. Every hour I would take it out and spritz with the teriyaki marinade.  The salmon was cut into strips and was hanging.  After about 2 hours the salmon was very tasty. It had the smoke taste but was very moist, but not yet finished smoking. In the future  I want to prepare salmon fillets for a meal and cook them laying down.  I do not want to go the full smoking process as it will be consumed immediately. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for this?  My preference of smoke is Alder or Apple.  Also for a choice of salmon between King, Sockeye and Atlantic which one is better suited for teriyaki salmon.  I prefer an oily fish.  What other fish might be good for teriyaki smoking and which wood to use?

Thanks and Regards

Leonard
Smoking needs to bloom before being consumed at least 24hours other wise you really not getting the true smoked taste, cook on the low side so you don't get a fat out that will keep your fish oily. Just my thoughts.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.