Smoker Caught on Fire

Started by Linda24, June 20, 2016, 12:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linda24

Following all the directions as we always have. Yesterday our Bradley Smoker caught on fire the entire unit is destroyed and I have heard nothing back from the company.  Should I be contacting Consumer Protection over a safety issue?  Has anyone else experienced this problem??

ic2283

Post a picture.  Mine caught fire last year and only needed a new fuse and temp regulator from yard and pool.  Grease fell onto my A-Maze-N smoke generator and next thing i knew it was in flames. Mine was out of warranty so i did not contact Bradley.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Linda24;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum under such circumstances.

Bradley is very responsive, if you sent them an email, there will be a delay in responding. It is best to give them a call.

Customer Service For North America:
Toll Free: (866) 508-7514
Local: (309) 343-1124 Fax: (309) 343-1126 -

Fires do occur in the Bradley, generally due to an operating error. If you do a search you will find some posted pictures. As I mentioned give them a call, and take pictures of the damaged unit.

Also the below link may be helpful in the future:
Are there any fire hazardous using the Bradley Smoker

ic2283;

You should have contacted Bradley anyway. You never know how they may have assisted your.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dkiefer774

My smoker caught on fire over the weekend, it also blew the door off I have know idea how that happened!!! it was the 4th time I used it . I sent a email to there web site its only 6 months old I hope they warrantee it ,  :o

TedEbear

Quote from: dkiefer774 on August 23, 2016, 11:01:12 AM
My smoker caught on fire over the weekend, it also blew the door off I have know idea how that happened!!! it was the 4th time I used it . I sent a email to there web site its only 6 months old I hope they warrantee it ,  :o

Most likely a grease fire from either the meat touching the back wall and grease running down it onto the heating element or all the water in the drip bowl evaporating, leaving smoldering pucks in the bowl and grease dripping down on them from the V-tray. 

Those types of things would not be covered under warranty but contact them and see what they have to say. 

Habanero Smoker

You will get faster service by calling them. They will probably request some photos.

North American Customer Service Bradley phone lines are open 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST; Monday through Friday
Toll Free: (866) 508-7514
Local: (309) 343-1124
Fax: (309) 343-1126

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tskeeter

Quote from: dkiefer774 on August 23, 2016, 11:01:12 AM

Blew the door off?  Wow!

I wonder if somehow some flammable gases or other material got into your smoker.  Since you've used your smoker a number of times, it doesn't sound like the event could be related to manufacturing residues in the smoker.  That leads me to think about other possible sources of something that might burn fast enough to create an explosion.  Has the smoker been cleaned since the preceding use?  If so, what was used to clean it?  Where was the smoker stored?  Possibly on the floor of a garage or shed where the smoker might collect gasoline or natural gas fumes?  Where was the smoker located as it was being used?  Is it possible that there was a leaking propane tank or something similar nearby?  And that the leaking gas might have been drawn into the smoker?

Just a few minutes thinking about your experience certainly has made me more aware of possible risks I have never considered. Thanks for sharing.  (Goes out to move spare propane tank out of the smoker shed.)

Toker

I just wonder when will the company understand that they need to come out with something like this. With it, the dripping does not get into the element section.

dkiefer774

no gasses any ware or any chemicals just a pork roast in the center , I had a bowl of water in it for the wood pucks , I don't know how any grease can keep from going any ware ,Its a smoker ??? I'm just glad it did not burn my house down , I would not ever have it close to your home if you  using it just in case . I tried to attach a pic of it but I don't know how to do it?

TedEbear

Quote from: dkiefer774 on August 24, 2016, 05:51:20 AMI tried to attach a pic of it but I don't know how to do it?

1. Upload your pic(s) to a free host site, such as Photobucket.
2. Next to each pic is an IMG box. Left click in that box and the contents will automatically be copied onto your clipboard.
3. Paste those contents into a message on here.
4. It is not necessary but if you want to see if it worked before posting your message you can click on the Preview button.

Hint: If you think you might be using Photobucket for eventually storing lots of pics it is a good idea to create different folders for each theme such as Food, Hobbies, Cars, etc.  Just make sure you upload them to the appropriate folder. Keeping your Photobucket pics organized makes them much easier to find later on.

nrobertson

Due to the fire we dealt with involving the Bradley 6 Rack smoker, we have reached out to the agencies that are noted on the owners manual for further information on testing of these products. We are quite concerned about potential fire hazards with these smokers. These units do not carry a CSA or UL endorsement. Make sure your unit is not in a position that if a fire started, the fire will not spread to your home.

KyNola

nrobertson, in your original post about the fire in your 6 rack you stated that the operator did not follow the instructions and failed to put the water bowl in place.  Can't help but notice that you edited that portion out of your comments when you copied and pasted a portion of your original comment here.

Intended or not, your comment infers that the Bradley is unsafe to use.  Every brand of smoker produced can be unsafe to use if the operator does not properly follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

Gafala

Quote from: KyNola on August 25, 2016, 07:06:30 AM
nrobertson, in your original post about the fire in your 6 rack you stated that the operator did not follow the instructions and failed to put the water bowl in place.  Can't help but notice that you edited that portion out of your comments when you copied and pasted a portion of your original comment here.

Intended or not, your comment infers that the Bradley is unsafe to use.  Every brand of smoker produced can be unsafe to use if the operator does not properly follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

I also notice this in the photo why is there so much foil that is burned, but the Bradley doesn't show that much damage other then the door. Please explain.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

KostaKokinis

Looks like the door melted right off from the high heat of the flames. Perhaps the foil started to burn with a combination of grease not being able to make it to the water bowl? With that amount of foil burnt I wonder if the v shaped drip tray was covered accidently or in an attempt to save clean up time. What food was being cooked? :-\