Temp Shooting Past Set Temperature

Started by acslater, June 21, 2016, 05:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acslater

My smoker (BTDS76P) doesn't seem to be honoring the temperature I set anymore. No matter what I set it to the temp just keeps on rising to over 300°. I'm guessing this most likely means I have a bad temp sensor. Is that correct? If so, is this what I need to order? http://www.yardandpool.com/bradley-digital-smoker-replacement-temperature-sensor?gclid=CjwKEAjwy6O7BRDzm-Tdub6ZiSASJADPNzYrOKdXhKd_Auu0mnMeJRbjtYPRvLDD1sn0P7fe3ZoA5BoCWxrw_wcB Or is is this, http://www.yardandpool.com/bradley-smoker-replacement-temperature-sensor?gclid=CjwKEAjwy6O7BRDzm-Tdub6ZiSASJADPNzYrdqD0MZwg-JCIxr8Sek8Vg0s7ZEcsKA0gUn5WeX9MoBoCnUbw_wcB?

Just for some additional information, the power from the smoker to the cabinet does not seem to be working anymore so I plugged a wire directly from an outlet to the cabinet to supply power. Would that have anything to do with not being able to control temperature?

beefmann

if you power the cabinet directly from a  outlet then you have no temp control, this applies power to the heating element full time and will cause the temp to continue to climb like you are  seeing.

if you are having an issue with the temp controls of your bradly, try a few things first,,, be sure all cords , plugs etc, are firmly seated and secure, sometimes they look seated properly though do not make contact.

be sure that the controller for the heat is putting out power, at set temp when the cabinet is cool.. if there is no power output then you have a bad controller.

acslater

Thanks beefman.

I did check the cords/plugs but will try again to be sure and I will check the controller next.

TedEbear

If it is still causing a problem, you might open the SG and check for any loose wires.  The link below tells how to take it apart.

How do I clean my generator?

tskeeter

AC, are you using an Auber PID?  My three year old PID failed recently and did something strange.  When the PID reached the set temperature, it started to recognize the temp reading as if it were decreasing.  So, it applied full power to the heating element.  Despite the fact that the temperature was increasing, the PID thought the temp was dropping.

How did I figure this out?  I thought something strange was going on.  So I was using my Maverick to monitor the cabinet temp.  When the Maverick showed a temp well above my temp set point, I checked the smoker and saw that the temp displayed by the PID was falling pretty quickly while the temp displayed by the Maverick was climbing at a normal rate.  Performed a boiling water test on the Maverick to confirm that it was reading accurately.  Tried a new temp probe in the PID, and got the same behavior, so concluded that the PID was sick.  In a couple of days I had a new PID.  I'll have to see if I can get the old PID repaired.

Toker

Contact Auber repair is about 15-20$