Hello from West Michigan

Started by austinsmoke, June 24, 2016, 07:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinsmoke

Hello,

I have been lurking around the forums for quite some time, and then remembered that I had registered an account and, voila! Now I'm posting

I am an accountant in Grand Rapids (graduate officially in December, Beginning my CPA exams next spring) and current student of Grand Valley State University.

I have a Bradley Original (not black - BS6), with a newly acquired dual probe plug-n-play PId from Auber with the Dual element mod.
Due to the increasing amount of work required to use the smoker while busy doing other things, I haven't used the smoker as much as I'd have liked to, and that's why I purchased the PID, simply to make it a 'push some buttons and forget about it' smoking experience.

I have recently become interested in brining meat, cold-smoking cheese and fish, smoking nuts and trying out another brisket.

My first experience with brisket was a cut from a local farmer at a farmers market, and I won't pretend to know anything about meat quality so it could have been a dud, but it was very tough and had no 'bark'.

I use my smoker primarily to cook chicken and the occasional boston butt for pulling.

My first cheese smoke is sitting in the fridge, torturing me every time I open the doors in anticipation.

I also see that a number of you are from Texas, and even East Texas... My wife and I (also an accountant, aspiring CPA) are debating moving from the freezing winters of Michigan, down to Texas, likely the East Dallas area, or possibly North of Dallas. If anyone has suggestions regarding this area, please let me know!
Bradley Original 4-rack no modifications

Smoker John

Don't have any info on Texas but welcome aboard.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"