Not able to reach desired temperature

Started by rdellis954, June 25, 2016, 12:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdellis954

Recently bought a Bradley smoker and am having difficulty reaching the desired temperature.  I like to smoke around 200 to 225.  This is the third time I have used this Bradley smoker and the problem is that the temperature will not go over 150.  I live in Florida and right now at 3 in the afternoon, 91 outside, smoker is in full sun, has been on for 4 hours with temperature dial is on high.  Temperature in the smoker is 125.  Vent has been used in every position.  Tried moving the temperature dial down and that only lowered the temperature.  With all the playing around top temperature reached today with the vent almost closed is 150, which is too low for poultry. (Smoking ribs and chicken today)  Does anyone have any ideas?

beefmann

check the connections between the smoke generator and the tower, some times over time they loose contact.... remove and re seat a the smoke generator and at the  tower,,, turn the dial to high and see if the heat climbs,,, if not you may have a bad element.

rdellis954

I did check the connections, all were tight and temperature did not change.

cathouse willy

Another thing to try, plug the tower directly into the wall socket and check to see if the element glows red. With the low temps you're getting the main element is not coming on.

TedEbear

You're not using your Bradley with an extension cord, are you?

Habanero Smoker

Hi rdellis954;

Welcome to the forum.

How large of a load (pounds of meat and type of meat) are you smoking/cooking?

What are you using to measure the cabinet temperature?

If you open the cabinet, is the element glowing red?

When you have food in the cabinet, don't close your vent to too small of an opening.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rdellis954

Last weekend was two slabs of ribs and two chicken breast.  The last the smoker was used and it did not reach temp was about 10 pounds of bone in turkey. 

No extension cord was used.

Temperature was measured by thermometer on the door.

Did not look at the element.  Will do so tomorrow.

Habanero Smoker

The door thermometer is not that reliable once food is placed into the cabinet. If the temperature probe is near the meat or directly above it, moisture evaporating from the meat will give you a lower temperature.

Do you recall how long it took for the ribs, and the turkey to fully cook? If you know those times and post them, that will give us a better idea if you food is cooking within the average range what it is taking for others to fully cook their ribs and turkey.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rdellis954

After 4 hours I pulled them out and put them in the oven to finish cooking.

Today I ran it for an hour and the element did not glow red.   Top temp on the door was 155.  Forgot to plug it directly into an outlet.  Will do that tomorrow and post the results.

rdellis954

When plugged directly into an outlet, the element does not glow red.  I will call Bradley customer service to discuss the issue with them.

TedEbear

Remove one wire from the element and check the resistance across it.  A working element will read 27-32 ohms.