Help with my first pulled pork

Started by tiwanski, June 27, 2016, 10:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiwanski

Yesterday I attempted to smoke my first pulled pork using the Bradley digital smoker.  I started with a 8.5 lb boneless pork shoulder.  The day before I mixed and applied a rub and refrigerated the butt for 24 hrs.  I removed the butt from the fridge and let it come to room temp, before smoking it at 220F until the internal temp reached 160F (approximately 12 hours).  After I took out the Butt I attempted to pull it apart and found the meat was not ready to pull.  I Then double wrapped the entire roast in heavy duty foil and refrigerated it with the plan to oven roast the butt today in hopes that it will be ready to pull apart.

Here is the question - What temp should I set the oven and how long should I cook the butt?

cherrybergher

If it was me, I would add some apple juice or beer to the foil wrap package and you could try something like 240 degrees and try and get an internal temperature of at least 175-180.  As a side note I generally never go by time when doing my butts in the bradley.  I do the fork test between 175-177 degrees an I'm usually good to pull after the meat has rested for about 90 minutes.  Some people will go to at least 190 degrees in my opinion it really depends on the cut of the shoulder. and my butts usually stall at a temperature between 155-165 degrees this stall can last up to a few hours, thats why I never really go by time.

Welcome to the forum, hope that helps
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

ghosttown

Cherry is right don't do it by time. I just finished a pork shoulder over the weekend and it was about 13lbs bone in. I did it until internal temp was 205 and that took about 20hrs but I was also doing ribs at the same time. When it was done I twisted the bone and it came out clean. Here are some pics and this time I didn't decide to wrap it at all.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete

The temp you smoke it at and the length of time means nothing.  The internal temp is what its all about.  I was very frustrated on my first butts.  I figured, after a case of Molson, it should be done.  The other frustration is that my Bradley Digital strains to get to 225°F.  But it gets to 218°F...so I live with it.  When cooking meats you are exposed to a phenomenon called a "stall"  which is when your roast is sweating and the temp stays down.  Deal with it!  Wrap it in foil and keep on trucking'.  It should be done smoking anyway.  With your line of thinking, you are on your way to success.  Now lets get down to reality.....Is there someone in the background that feels you should be cooking faster?  Hey, you gotta sleep in the garage a couple nights....no big deal.  Low and slow is the secret to your success.

Pistol Pete

And lotsa folks take it to an internal of 203°F.  My secret....I take it off 199-203, depending on how many beers i have had.  I wrap it in foil, slap it in a plastic bag, wrap it in towels, and throw it in a faux Cambro (that's a cooler) for a couple hours so it "mellows".  It stays warm for hours and when you are ready shred it with bear claws if you're a wuss, or your fingers if you're not....you are THE man!

tiwanski

Quote from: cherrybergher on June 27, 2016, 11:20:18 AM
If it was me, I would add some apple juice or beer to the foil wrap package and you could try something like 240 degrees and try and get an internal temperature of at least 175-180.  As a side note I generally never go by time when doing my butts in the bradley.  I do the fork test between 175-177 degrees an I'm usually good to pull after the meat has rested for about 90 minutes.  Some people will go to at least 190 degrees in my opinion it really depends on the cut of the shoulder. and my butts usually stall at a temperature between 155-165 degrees this stall can last up to a few hours, thats why I never really go by time.

Welcome to the forum, hope that helps

Thanks for the advice - I'll give it a try....especially using the apple juice !

cherrybergher

Quote from: Pistol Pete on June 27, 2016, 12:04:45 PM
Now lets get down to reality.....Is there someone in the background that feels you should be cooking faster?  Hey, you gotta sleep in the garage a couple nights....no big deal. 

Amen Brother
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

Pistol Pete

Be adventurous.   Cherry Dr Pepper!