Hello from the UK.

Started by leerocker, June 28, 2016, 07:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leerocker

Hello, I live in Essex in the UK.  A couple of years ago I bought a Brinkmann manual smoker which took a lot of effort to keep going over long periods of time and also was very hit and miss with regard to temperature.  So a few weeks ago I invested in a Bradley 4 rack digital smoker which I picked up from our local Costco.  I have started experimenting with some of the basics: ribs, chicken etc. and everything has been pretty good so far except burgers.  I followed a recipe and instructions from the forum but they came out dry and almost inedible. I say almost inedible because I ate them anyway.  But only to try to understand what was wrong with them. So what is the secret to smoking burgers that don't dry out?  I made the burgers myself from some ground beef and they cooked for about 1hr 30 at 220f which was as long as it took for them to get to 160f.
Anyway, any tips and tricks greatly appreciated.

Wildcat

I have done meatloaf but not burgers. Sometimes it is a matter of the right tool for the right task. I always grill burgers when outdoors. The bradley is a slow cooker. Burgers and steaks generally need higher temps than the Bradley can produce. Athough you can cold smoke a steak for favor, then grill the next day, I would not recommend doing this with ground beef. I have a pellet grill that does all the fast cooking.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Hi leerocker;

Welcome to the forum.

I've never fully cooked hamburgers it the Bradley. I transfer the meat directly from the refrigerator to the Bradley. I apply 40 minutes of smoke with the cabinet temperature 180°F - 200°F, and then transfer to the grill. I notice you grind your own meat. If you want to cook them fully in the Bradley, I would use a ground mixture that is 20% to 25% fat. Chuck has about a ratio of 20% fat to meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoker John

Haven't tried burgers in the Bradley, maybe try as Habs mentions more fat with the meat. Welcome aboard.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

leerocker

Hi,  thanks for your comments.  They are much appreciated.  I will give them a go and let you know how I get on.  Cheers!

Orion

Here's a method you might like...

Start with lean ground meat, (beef, venison etc) and put it in a large bowl. Mix a few seasonings of your liking in it, a tiny bit of oil and little bit of chopped lightly cooked bacon. Mix it all up really well and then, instead of forming patty's, form large balls of the meat. Press your finger into the centre to form a depression. Put a small pat of butter and a small chunk of beef oxo cube in the centre. Reform the ball well so the butter and oxo is in the centre.

Smoke at 225 F until you have an IT of 180F. Delicious!

The round shape reduces surface area which keeps the meat moist and juicy. Make them as large as you like.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.