Catering for the first time

Started by DevinM, July 11, 2016, 03:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevinM

30 people for a wedding rehearsal dinner.

I have 
16 pound brisket
8 pound pork loin

We are doing Brisket, Pulled pork sliders, coleslaw, potato salad, a large pot of mac and cheese, Green beans cooked in some water with a smoked pork hock, deviled eggs, and Drunken Berry cobbler

We might do corn cut into 3rds "price dependent" I also considered bake potato's

Do I have enough from the sounds of it meat wise? I've never cooked for this many before so I'm a little nervous. On top of that is there an easy side I could add or am I fine with what I have.

Habanero Smoker

I throw a barbecue party of about 25 - 35 guest each year, and will frequently refer to the links posted below.

BBQ Meat Yields, Serving etc.

BBQ Catering Planner
Needs a program that can open Microsoft Excel, open office will work. A little difficult to understand at first, but does give you a good idea of yield of meat after cooked, and you can use that as a guide.

Catering Tips
Make sure you click on the links inside the article

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Aschenbrenner

Thanx Hab! Very helpful information!
Calgary

Cookshack PG1000 pellet smoker :)
Bradley DBS
Weber Genesis

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Aschenbrenner on July 12, 2016, 03:25:38 AM
Thanx Hab! Very helpful information!

You're welcome.

I forgot to mention that I serve three types of meat. So I plan for 1.25 portions of each meat per person, and still have plenty for people to take home.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DevinM

thank you so much these are insanely helpful, but the only one I want taking left overs home is me  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: DevinM on July 12, 2016, 04:30:59 PM
............. the only one I want taking left overs home is me  ;D

This year I may just try that myself. ;D ;D ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DevinM

I was having a bit of a freak out last night for well a couple of reasons. Firstly and most importantly the Tried tested and whatever recipe site is down or gone. Secondly I am realizing that the Brisket I got is massive haha I'm going to have to wrinkle it up good to fit on 1 wrack.

DevinM

nearing 4 hours in on the brisket, since it will take like 24 hours to cook, my plan was to do 6 or so hours in the smoke then move it inside to the oven. Mostly because I need to sleep because it is a big day tomorrow. Keep it in the oven wrapped in tinfoil on a cookie sheet at 220 until its done.  Any issue with this? or suggestions

Habanero Smoker

Sorry about the site being down.

That method is alright. Just make sure that the brisket is not touching the back wall. Grease can run down the back wall onto the element and start a fire. As it cooks it will shrink and eventually fit on the rack. Finishing in the oven is a good idea. Many of us use a dual cooking method.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DevinM

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 13, 2016, 12:56:42 PM
Sorry about the site being down.

That method is alright. Just make sure that the brisket is not touching the back wall. Grease can run down the back wall onto the element and start a fire. As it cooks it will shrink and eventually fit on the rack. Finishing in the oven is a good idea. Many of us use a dual cooking method.

12.5 hours in on the 16 lbs brisket and its at 172, I have my thermometer in the side on the thickest part which I know is not the correct way to do it. I am a little concerned at how high the temp is already tho. Since I am doing the brisket in the oven should I put the probe in the top of the brisket or bottom? Not sure if the oven changes anything compared to the smoker.

Habanero Smoker

If it was at 172°F, it will probably soon go into the stall phase, also referred to as the plateau; where the temperature will go unchanged for a long period of time. I generally do not smoke/cook whole briskets. I generally will cook flats, because that is all that is readily available in my area. Those that cook whole briskets generally will place the probe at the thickest part of the flat; just before the point.

I find moving the food from the Bradley to the oven, it does seem to cook faster; even when the oven temperature is set at the same setting. For doness, the best test is the fork test. When inserting a fork, it should move easily in and out. Many use the probe, for this test instead of a fork.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DevinM