2nd element mod

Started by wurzel, July 14, 2016, 04:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wurzel

Hi Guys.

I've got a Bradley digital 6 rack which I'm planning to add a 2nd element to. I'm in England so it's taken me a while to get the element, auber pid and a new reflector together, but I'm finally ready. Not being any good with electrics myself I'm looking to get a professional in to follow the excellent tutorial from the susanminor site, which is apparently suspended  :o  :o  :o

Does anyone know anywhere else the tutorial is posted or have an offline version they could share? I can't find it anywhere. I'd be more than happy to donate to get the site back up if that's an option too.

Thanks a lot,

Wurzel.
"Heaven sends us good meat, but the devil sends us cooks."

David Garrick

rexster

I believe if you take your time to search this forum, you'll find more than enough answers to this simple install. If you have or have access to a Dremel type tool, you're on your way
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Habanero Smoker

Hi Wurzel;

Welcome to the forum.

The below link will take you the Mr Walleye's instructions, I don't think I posted my instructions on the board.
Well Another Mod

Also here are instructions by Test Rocket
I'm Adding the second element.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Orion

Here's yet another example of how to get a factory second element in your smoker. Works slick.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=36796.0
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

wurzel

Thanks a lot fellas. I've got a big cook up coming up next weekend and I was starting to panic, I just can't face another session watching this box take an hour and a half to get up to temperature.

I saw the prices you guys pay for parts over there... the auber, 2 elements and a new reflector cost me the best part of $400 to get over here  :'( This barbecue game ain't cheap in a country that thinks brisket is best used for dog food!

Cheers!

David Garrick

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: wurzel on July 15, 2016, 02:20:45 PM
Thanks a lot fellas. I've got a big cook up coming up next weekend and I was starting to panic, I just can't face another session watching this box take an hour and a half to get up to temperature.

I saw the prices you guys pay for parts over there... the auber, 2 elements and a new reflector cost me the best part of $400 to get over here  :'( This barbecue game ain't cheap in a country that thinks brisket is best used for dog food!

Cheers!

Your country is getting better at barbecue. You Britt's have a great barbecue team that is winning their fair share of competitions in the states; MISS PIGGY'S U.K. They are doing it the hard way. Often flying in just before the day of the event, and they always have to borrow equipment to cook on. I know a KCBS judge who was vacationing in the U.K. and while there he took their class and says he learned a lot.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wurzel

Hey guys.

Started my dual ele mod and fell at the first hurdle... couldn't even get the old reflector off  :o

3 screws came out no problem, the last one was free spinning in both directions. Tried pulling on it as I tried to back it out... tried pushing it in all directions to try to catch the thread... thought about drilling it out but the drill would just spin it anyway.

Finally pulled the back off to see if I could do anything and found that all the insulation behind that screw had been removed, nothing in the case so it doesn't look like it's burnt away or fell out. What looks like a mounting plate for the screw is bent out of the way and the screw in question has a nut attached to it holding it in place, but the nut is not attached to anything... therefore the joyous free wheeling that screw is enjoying.

All the other mount points are covered in insulation still, I don't want to remove it to compare but this looks like a bodge job to me. What I think is the mounting plate seems to have been drilled badly... there are 2 holes, the unused one will take a screw nicely, the one this screw should be in will not, too small. I think that while putting the machine together whoever was doing it couldn't get the screw in, took the back off, pulled out the insulation, bent the mounting plate out of the way and threw on a nut to hold it together. What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Wurzel.

(BTW, I would have posted pics but I don't seem to able to, is there a minimum post threshold for attachments?)

David Garrick

TedEbear

Quote from: wurzel on July 25, 2016, 10:59:05 AM
(BTW, I would have posted pics but I don't seem to able to, is there a minimum post threshold for attachments?)

No minimum post count if you host the pics on someplace like Photobucket and post the link.

1. Upload your pic(s) to a free host site, such as Photobucket.
2. Next to each pic is an IMG box. Left click in that box and the contents will automatically be copied onto your clipboard.
3. Paste those contents into a message on here.
4. It is not necessary but if you want to see if it worked before posting your message you can click on the Preview button.

Hint: If you think you might be using Photobucket for eventually storing lots of pics it is a good idea to create different folders for each theme such as Food, Hobbies, Cars, etc.  Just make sure you upload them to the appropriate folder. Keeping your Photobucket pics organized makes them much easier to find later on.