First Tri Tip - Success!

Started by ChicagoScott, July 23, 2016, 09:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChicagoScott

Earlier this week a  friend of mine was telling me about a tri tip he smoked and then reverse seared, so I thought I would give it a try. I'm putting a lot of details in here because that has been really helpful to me when others do it. 

The tri tip I bought was 2.67 lbs of Angus beauty. 

I rubbed with Stubb's Beef Spice Rub. Actually I didn't really "rub" it at all, I just sprinkled it on all sides. (no oil or any binder. The rub stuck on just fine)

I wrapped the roast back up in butcher paper and left it on the counter while I turned the smoker on max to preheat. While my OBS was preheating I boiled water for the bowl and then put the filled bowl in the smoker. I preheated with the temp on max until the smoker hit about 230 degrees. I planned on 2 hours of Oak, so I put in 7 pucks plus 3 aluminum ones. I always use the extra wood puck so I can get the smoke going during the preheat. Not sure it makes a difference, but I like the cabinet to be fully smoky when I first put the meat in. I put the roast in the smoker, and left the temp dial on max, figuring there would be a temp drop. Given that it was a 100-degree summer day in Chicago, what happened instead was a continuous climb in temperature. I noticed it at about 248 and went to the smoker to fan the door in and out (to drop the temp) and lower the dial. Given the small size of the roast, I did not change the water during the smoke, I just monitored the cabinet and meat temperature. [I use a Maverick dual-probe wireless thermometer]

When the tri tip hit 135 (at roughly the 2 hour mark) I turned on my grill to get it ready. When the internal temperature of the meat hit 140, I pulled it and put it on my grill, which was cranking at 750 degrees. Time to sear! My grill was particularly fond of the fat cap.

I seared for about a minute or maybe a minute and a half per side. The grill was HOT and the flames came quick, so I did not want to burn the roast. I just wanted some nice caramelization. And man did the grill deliver.

I then took the roast off the grill and put it in a foil pan, loosely covered it in foil and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Then I sliced it.

The flavor, tenderness, juiciness and caramelization were great. I could see going just a bit more toward the rare side and pulling the beef at 135 instead of 140. However, I have 2 kids and a wife who don't skew that direction. No complaints at all though; the tri tip turned out great.

~ChicagoScott

It used to be my kids who taught me patience, now it's my smoker.

Gafala

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Shasta bob

Fantastic job , I'm impressed on how thorough you were in your endeavor. the results look great.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

cherrybergher

That is beautiful, very nice work
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

watchdog56

Looks great, might have to give one  a try.

Smoker John

That looks great I need to try that, haven't done a tri tip yet.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Salmonsmoker

ChicagoScott, might I suggest a slight change in your protocol? Do your rest right after you pull the tri tip from the smoker and before you do the reverse sear. That way the meat has already reached it's IT from hold-over heat. The sear won't change that, and it's ready to serve immediately off the grill.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

TedEbear

Quote from: ChicagoScott on July 23, 2016, 09:58:28 PM
The flavor, tenderness, juiciness and caramelization were great. I could see going just a bit more toward the rare side and pulling the beef at 135 instead of 140. However, I have 2 kids and a wife who don't skew that direction. No complaints at all though; the tri tip turned out great.

~ChicagoScott

Looks like nice work.  However, I skew with your wife and kids as far as doneness.  I take my meats to an IT of 160 before I consider it to be fully cooked.   :)

ChicagoScott

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on July 26, 2016, 07:14:16 AM
ChicagoScott, might I suggest a slight change in your protocol? Do your rest right after you pull the tri tip from the smoker and before you do the reverse sear. That way the meat has already reached it's IT from hold-over heat. The sear won't change that, and it's ready to serve immediately off the grill.

So you're saying - Smoker > Rest > Sear > slice and serve immediately?

If I do that won't the juices run out when I cut it?
It used to be my kids who taught me patience, now it's my smoker.

tskeeter

Quote from: ChicagoScott on July 30, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

[/quote

Nope.  The juices redistribute in the meat during the rest after your smoke.  The sear is so quick that it only affects the surface of the meat, so the fibers in the meat don't contract and squeeze the juices out.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: tskeeter on July 30, 2016, 05:47:18 PM
Quote from: ChicagoScott on July 30, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

[/quote

Nope.  The juices redistribute in the meat during the rest after your smoke.  The sear is so quick that it only affects the surface of the meat, so the fibers in the meat don't contract and squeeze the juices out.

Yes. What tskeeter said. :)
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.