Holding in digital smoker instead of FTC

Started by VTSmoker, July 28, 2016, 03:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTSmoker

If I smoked 4 5lb port butts in my new digital smoker (I thought they were 2 10pounders and was about to get started, they are 4 boneless), and erred on the side of caution...could I do this:

Once they hit 205, lower the smoker to 200 (i guess i cant do increments of 5)  and let them sit until i'm  a few hours from the party and then FTC?  How long could i let them sit at 200 in the smoker, untouched?

Wildcat

I personally would simply FTC until dinner time. I fail to understand why you would want to continue cooking. It could turn mushy if you cook past the fork test.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

VTSmoker

Im just worried that at 5 pounds each, if I start nowish, they wont take the 18 hours i thought the 10 pounders would take.  And being bonless, they look kinda butterflied and not thick in any one point.

VTSmoker

I guess a better question would be, if it looks like i'm going to be over 8 hours to serving time, should i saran then foil it and hold in the Bradley at 160 or 170 or so until i'm closer to the 8 hour FTC that i'm used to?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: VTSmoker on July 28, 2016, 04:46:25 PM
I guess a better question would be, if it looks like i'm going to be over 8 hours to serving time, should i saran then foil it and hold in the Bradley at 160 or 170 or so until i'm closer to the 8 hour FTC that i'm used to?

Yes! You could do that. Maybe add about 1/4 cup of apple juice or other liquid before tightly wrapping. if it is only 8 hours or less, you may be able to skip the plastic wrap. Another method would be to put two each into a foil pan, add liquid and tightly cover with foil, and hold them at around 160°F to 170°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Grouperman941

I would pull and seal in a pan (with a little apple juice if dry) and hold at 160-170 until needed.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?