Applying the maple sugar cure to bacon

Started by Shuswap, July 22, 2016, 07:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shuswap

I've been using Habs maple bacon recipe with success and am about to do a berkshire belly tomorrow.  If the skin is on I will leave it until the cold smoke is done then remove it SOOOOO my question is if it is essential to put the mixed cure on the skin side? :-\

Habanero Smoker

Yes! You will need to apply the cure to all sides of the bacon. Many experts state that you should apply the cure more heavily on the skin/fat side, since it take the cure and salt longer to work it's way through the skin and fat. Having said that, I find that equally applying the cure works very well for me, and the bacon has always been fully cured.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Shuswap

No surprise there - thanks for the confirmation Habs

My Berkshire pork arrived with leg and midsection attached so had a busy day following my butchering teacher Camas Davis of Portland Meat Collective fame on YouTube to break it down to trotter, hock, picnic, fresh bacon slab, coppa, belly, ribs, and loin.  A part of this whole hobby that I really enjoy.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Shuswap on July 23, 2016, 07:01:04 AM
No surprise there - thanks for the confirmation Habs

My Berkshire pork arrived with leg and midsection attached so had a busy day following my butchering teacher Camas Davis of Portland Meat Collective fame on YouTube to break it down to trotter, hock, picnic, fresh bacon slab, coppa, belly, ribs, and loin.  A part of this whole hobby that I really enjoy.

The cost had to set you back a bit, but all those cuts are worth the cost.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)