Temperature Throttle, Wide open or Partial throttle?

Started by smokinvalley, August 12, 2016, 08:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinvalley

I know when the smoker is stuffed with meat (42 LB of Pork) the internal temperature takes longer to rise. But my three Butts and one ROR have been in now for 12 hours and my Maverick ET-732 only says BBQ-178 FOOD-136. Last night when I started I was thinking low and slow so I put the temp throttle at 75%. Is this par for the course? or should I push the temp throttle to 100% to get temps climbing?

TMB

Quote from: smokinvalley on August 12, 2016, 08:14:46 AM
I know when the smoker is stuffed with meat (42 LB of Pork) the internal temperature takes longer to rise. But my three Butts and one ROR have been in now for 12 hours and my Maverick ET-732 only says BBQ-178 FOOD-136. Last night when I started I was thinking low and slow so I put the temp throttle at 75%. Is this par for the course? or should I push the temp throttle to 100% to get temps climbing?
You need to remember meat is done when it wants to be done.

Not all butts will cook at the same rate and when you fill the box up your adding time as well.      Also I learned no to peek at the food that really kills the temps in a Bradley (well at least mine) as long as the IT of the Bradley is above 225 and steady just let it roll.

I had two butts go 14 hrs (8 and 8.5 lbs) they were wonderful but just took a long time
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

smokinvalley

Well I expected 18 to 20 hours when I started. I don't need to open the box because the Maverick is telling me the internal temps and the meat temp where I stuck the food probe. Internal temp is now at 187 via the Maverick. and the Butt temp on the largest Butt on shelf #2, counting from bottom is now at 142 degrees. I have pushed the throttle to 95% because I'm aware of the slow down process of the meat conversion around 180 degrees. And I want to push the meat temp to 195 prior to FTC.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

I found that when you are cooking at around 200°F or lower, start testing the butts for doness at around 175°F. They are probably done at that internal temperature. To test, use a kitchen fork, insert it in the thickest part of the butt, and twist. If the fork go in easy, and twist easy, they are ready.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)