Learned a bad lesson yesterday.

Started by rnmac, August 12, 2016, 12:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnmac

Hi all. Was in a mood to try a bunch of different snacks after looking through this site a few days back. Figured I would do some ABT'S, bacon wrapped onion rings and stuff some chicken thighs with my leftover cheese filling from
the ABT'S. By the time I was done wrapping everything in bacon 7 lbs. was used and 6 racks filled. Set heat to 300 to warm the cabinet up for 1 hour before filling it up. Also took the prepared food out of the fridge at this time. Once the racks were in place the heat was set at 280 for the first couple of hours & IT was 214. IT quickly dropped to 175 and over the course of 6 hours came up to 204. 4 hours of which was with apple smoke.
What a MESS!!! inside the cabinet. Cheese had melted and dripped down. The jalapenos were still a little underdone and the bacon didn't get real crispy by any means. Still tasted good though and gave me something else to laugh at myself about!

Lesson learned. Can't fill the cabinet with this much. Guess I need an extra heating element and 1 of the PID's I see mentioned in here. Any info on where these items can be ordered form in Ontario?

watchdog56

Cheese usually starts  melting around 90 degrees. You might want to cold smoke next time,although you won't be able to do the chicken thighs unless you move them to a grill right after the smoke.

DetroitSmoke

Not a good idea to cold smoke any meat unless you cure it first.  It stays too long in the danger zone below 40 to 140 degrees
Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID