Pork roast in progress; is this too long?

Started by hvhunter, August 14, 2016, 12:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvhunter

OBS, dual elements controlled by aubirins pid.

Had a 11.5 pork shoulder that I trimmed off the skin, dry rubbed for 8 hrs, and put into my preheated OBS at 11pm.  225 until IT 190.  Here it is, 4pm, and the IT is 169 after 16 hours. Seems awfully long, considering it's 100f at home right now.

Should I bump the temp to 250?
Remove, foil, and finish in the oven?
Everyone is ready to eat. 

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hvhunter

Quote from: hvhunter on August 14, 2016, 12:56:49 PM
OBS, dual elements controlled by aubirins pid.

Had a 11.5 pork shoulder that I trimmed off the skin, dry rubbed for 8 hrs, and put into my preheated OBS at 11pm.  225 until IT 190.  Here it is, 4pm, and the IT is 169 after 16 hours. Seems awfully long, considering it's 100f at home right now.

Should I bump the temp to 250?
Remove, foil, and finish in the oven?
Everyone is ready to eat. 

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Made an executive decision here at 430pm, with the IT at 171. Wrapped in foil with apple juice, cranked up the temp to 260f, now waiting for that 190f IT.  Will keep you posted. It looked great.

hvhunter

6:30pm:  Cranked up the cabinet to 270f.  IT 180 for FTC. 

TedEbear

There doesn't seem to be a specific time on how long a shoulder should take based on the weight.  I think the general rule is 1.5-2 hours per lb.  With that 11.5 lb butt it could have taken 23 hours if you'd left it alone at 225 and no foil.  They say to not rush it through the stall period.  I've had an 8 lb butt take as long as 19 hours, although I generally cook mine at 210*F chamber temp to an IT of 190-195.

So, how long did it finally take?

Wildcat

I assume you are going for pulled pork. Have you done the fork test? I would not rely on just meat temp. Most of my butts take 16 to 24 hours.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

hvhunter

Pulled out of the smoker at 6:30. Cabinet at 270 (turned it up at 5:30pm from 260f), IT at 180f. Ftc until 715pm.  Was 99% perfect. Pulled nicely, wet, and delicious.

Habanero Smoker

I agree with Wildcat, the fork test is just as important as the IT you are going for.

Although all meat muscles react differently, you cooking temps, and times seem awfully off compared to the IT. In addition to the fork test, I use an instant read thermometer to double check the IT. You may want to do a boiling water test, to test the accuracy of your food probe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)