Where's the "in line" fuse?

Started by Wilbur, August 19, 2016, 05:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilbur

I hardly use this thing and once again have a problem with no heat, the light on the heat controller doesn't come on.
When I first powered the thing up this morning I noticed the light flickering, then it came on steady.  Worked fine till I turned up the heat for the last stage of the salmon I'm smoking and it quit.
Been reading here, the fuse on the smoke generator is fine, where's the "in line" fuse I keep hearing about, in the smoke generator or the main body of the smoker.

I've changed burners in the past, heater controls etc etc, I might think about replacing this thing with something more reliable.  Have a load of trout to smoke Sunday, not sure where I'll be able to fing parts for it on a Saturday, normally I buy right from Bradley.

TedEbear

You have to remove the back of the smoker chamber to see it.  Check it with a multimeter because it might look OK but it might still be bad.  This happened recently with someone else on the forum.

Here's what it looks like:

Wilbur

Thanks.

If the inline fuse is good and my heating element was shot would the light for the temp control still work or if that light isn't working would it mean the temp control module is shot?

Also found this, has a pic of the fuse:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16150.15

Ted, what's you opinion of the reliability of Bradley smokers?  I have the old fashioned original, I'm guessing the new digital ones are even more problematic?   

Habanero Smoker

For your model, if the inline fuse is good and the element is bad, the light for the temperature control will continue to work. If either the inline fuse and/or your temperature controller is bad, then the light will not work, because there is a break in the flow of electricity. If you have a crack in the face plate just above the temperature it is most likely your temperature controller is bad. The only way to know for sure is to test each with a multimeter for continuity.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: Wilbur on August 19, 2016, 07:08:39 PM
Ted, what's you opinion of the reliability of Bradley smokers?  I have the old fashioned original, I'm guessing the new digital ones are even more problematic?

I also have one of the original Bradley smokers, from about 5 years ago.  I like to tinker, so I added a second 500W element and an internal PID controller that's mounted inside the SG.  Those two upgrades eliminated the frustration I had with slow temp recovery or not maintaining the desired chamber temp.  If I was doing an overnight smoke I used to have to get up in the middle of the night several times as the outside air cooled down and adjust the slider temp switch.  No more.

I did the foot modification so the weight of the smoker no longer rests on the face plate.  Mine had cracked because of the poor original design and when I bought a new face plate from Yard & Pool I read on the "how-to" website various tricks on fixing that problem permanently, the second element mod and the internal PID.

The only other issue I have with my smoker is a cracked door hinge area that causes the door to not be as secure.  There are a few fixes that others have done and I'll eventually get around to doing one of them.  I don't use my smoker all that much anymore, so it is not that urgent to repair it.

The "how-to" website no longer exists but you can d/l the recipe collection, which includes the modifications I mentioned and a whole lot more at one of the following links.  You can also find the links on pg 3-4 of the Recipe Site thread elsewhere here on the forum.

Recipe_v4

Recipe_5v

Wilbur

Well I have continuity across the inline fuse, the thermal switch, 28 ohms across the element, complete open across the 2 connections for the heat controller, the plastic around it is not cracked.  Checked the pot, open there so I cleaned it and think I have it fixed, cept it's open till the pot is about half way, that doesn't seem normal does it?

Plugged it in, the light works again, will see  how hot it gets, have some trout to do tomorrow.  Changing the pot would be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole board, does anyone know a part number for it?

My smoker is probly almost 20 years old but I don't use it much.

Thanks for the links Ted, now that I'm retired maybe I can do some of those mods over the winter when the camping/fishing season is done, the PID would get rid of the POC temp control with the lousy pot, even a rotary one woulda been better.

<<EDIT>>
Can't get those links to work Ted...?

TedEbear

Quote from: Wilbur on August 20, 2016, 12:56:15 PM
Can't get those links to work Ted...?

Hmm...I don't know why.  I tried both the recipe_v4 and recipe_5v links just now and they worked for me.  Left click on either one and it should take you to Google Drive to begin downloading.

Habanero Smoker

Can you describe why the links won't work in greater detail?

What anti virus software, browser, and operating system you are running?

Are you getting any warnings, such as "Google Drive can't scan this file for viruses." or other messages?

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you mention the "pot". As for your smoker problem, it does seem the temperature controller is causing you the intermittent problem, but I would also recheck all wire connections in the cabinet. You may have a loose wire some where's.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Wilbur

By  "pot"  I mean potentiometer,  assuming that's what the sliding thing is.  Once I cleaned it I was able to do my trout but it's still a little flaky and I'd like to change it for now and then look at the PID controller and dual heating elements in the future. All connections are good.
Last time I had this problem I fixed it the way Bradley wants a person to, I bought a whole new circuit board, but that seems stupid when all a person needs to do is change the pot.

Windows 10, Chrome for browser (but have tried Explorer and Edge as well). Panda anti virus.

OK, played with the links some more this morning, Haven't done much with Google Drive before.  I click the links, I end up running an .exe that installs 'GoldenSection Reader", when I start that program I see "Recipes from the Bradley Smoker Forum", in there I find recipes and mods.  Can I assume both V4 and 5v in there?  If so I guess I muddled my way through it.   ;)

I like the PID in the smoke generator Ted, did you do a thread on that?
In the meantime if anyone knows where I can get a pot to replace mine let me know.
Thanks guys.

Habanero Smoker

OK, I now understand. I call that part a rheostat. You can order just that part from yard and pool, for $25 plus P&H.

Heat Control Switch

v4 and v5 are not the same; v4 may have about 4 recipes that are not included in the larger updated v5. The four missing recipes, are not worth installing both version. If you do install both versions, v5 will overwrite v4, or vice versa; which ever one is installed last. If you want to install both versions, install them in different directories, because both files have the same file name. Another option is after installing the first file for example v4, rename it, then you can install v5 in the same directory.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Wilbur

Thanks for the link, maybe I'll order a couple feet and do that mod to the front as well.

http://www.yardandpool.com/bradley-smoker-replacement-small-rubber-foot

My plastic cover isn't cracked, maybe tilting it with the ashers under the feet will help, but I'm thinking the rheostat just wears out..?7

Anyhow, thanks for the help.

Habanero Smoker

I believe mine is 12 years old and still working fine, but since doing the duel element mod, I've just left the controller in the far right position. So it hasn't had much mechanical ware and tear.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

TedEbear

Quote from: Wilbur on August 22, 2016, 11:07:30 AM
I like the PID in the smoke generator Ted, did you do a thread on that?
In the meantime if anyone knows where I can get a pot to replace mine let me know.
Thanks guys.

No, it is one of the mods listed in the recipe file that you downloaded.  There are plug-n-play stand-alone PID controllers for anyone who doesn't want to install one in their SG but I liked the idea of less wires showing.  The external PID controllers are also mentioned in that recipe file.  The foot modification is in there, too.

Wilbur

Thanks.
Picking up a new temp control from Bradley locally for 16 bucks, gonna get some rear feet for the front as well while I'm there and will open the vent more in the future.
Next up is beef jerky, no recipes in that link that I can  see.  I usually use Hi Mountain Seasonings, last time I tried something I found on YouTube, boy was it gross.   ;)

TedEbear

Quote from: Wilbur on August 23, 2016, 06:58:08 PM
Next up is beef jerky, no recipes in that link that I can  see.  I usually use Hi Mountain Seasonings, last time I tried something I found on YouTube, boy was it gross.   ;)

There are many recipes in the Jerky Making section here on the forum.