Disaster

Started by GaryM, August 25, 2016, 06:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryM

Howdy folks. This is my first post here.
I attempted to smoke a 12lb turkey yesterday. I loaded up biscuits and let it go at 240 degrees. I didn't peek until 6 hours had passed. The turkey was black. No where can I find anything that says how many biscuits to use in the smoking process.
Anyone help me out?

The security on this site really sucks.

Gafala

Quote from: GaryM on August 25, 2016, 06:50:46 PM
Howdy folks. This is my first post here.
I attempted to smoke a 12lb turkey yesterday. I loaded up biscuits and let it go at 240 degrees. I didn't peek until 6 hours had passed. The turkey was black. No where can I find anything that says how many biscuits to use in the smoking process.
Anyone help me out?

The security on this site really sucks.
Its a matter of taste for a turkey 6 hours is to long, I did my last one 2 hours and it was fine I did inject it with some spices and butter. Smoking is a due to taste some like a mild taste some like it stronger. Security has been the best for years no problems that I know of.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

rexster

Sounds like you may have had the top vent closed
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

tskeeter

Gary, the site security I think you have encountered is a temporary thing.  Once you have logged on several times (I think about 5 or 6), the verification that you are not a robo access goes away.

cathouse willy

Gary, I use three hours of smoke on pork and beef,less on poultry and fish. Any more than 4 hours is tooo much for me and I LIKE smoke.

TedEbear

Quote from: GaryM on August 25, 2016, 06:50:46 PMNo where can I find anything that says how many biscuits to use in the smoking process.

First, welcome aboard. 

You can find tips on smoking turkey in the Poultry section of the forum.  6 hours is WAY too long to apply smoke to poultry.

watchdog56

Is it a black coating on the turkey? If it is it could be that your vent was to closed. It should be all the way open especially for poultry to let the moisture out. If it is a coating it is called black  rain. The moisture does not have enough time to escape and drips back down on your food. I leave the vent aid open on mine for everything. The food will be fine to eat just might have a bitter taste. You may be able to scrape it off.

Roget

Quote from: cathouse willy on August 25, 2016, 10:20:33 PM
Gary, I use three hours of smoke on pork and beef,less on poultry and fish. Any more than 4 hours is tooo much for me and I LIKE smoke.

Gary, I agree with Willy.
His recommendations are probably pretty close to what many, if not most, of us use.
I also agree that you need to keep your vent open. All my smokes are done with the vent wide open.
YCDBSOYA

Edward176

Welcome to the forum Gary. Sorry to hear about your misfortunes with the blackened turkey. Lots of good help and advise here to walk you through any and all difficulties.
I agree with the others, vent wide open and smoke 3-4 hours is plenty. 

GaryM

Howdy Folks! Many Thanks for all the replies. I read that I should leave the vent CLOSED. Obviously, that was wrong! Grrr!
So...How long is correct to brine a12-15lb turkey? I made a brine of 1 cup salt to gallon of water. Second, if I put bird in smoker and SMOKE it for 3 hours, do I take it out at that time or leave it in with heat cranked at 240" for another couple hours?

I know this is kinda nuts and bolts stuff but I am used to using a Big Chief smoker where you are constantly changing pans of chips and getting a stable temp is impossible.

How many pucks per hour is correct?

Thanks again!

TedEbear

Read the label if you buy the turkey from a store. A lot of the time those are already injected and it is a waste of time to brine them.  Read the links below for more info.  I personally would not apply smoke for more than 2 hours on a turkey.  Poultry soaks up smoke like a sponge and a little goes a long way.  The Bradley cycles a puck every 20 minutes.

Also, many people finish cooking poultry in the oven for a crisp skin.  If you cook it entirely in the Bradley the skin tends to be a bit rubbery due to the lower temp than what you would get in your house oven.  Cook until the breast IT is 160*F.

Smoking turkey this weekend

2015 Thanksgiving Turkey

Browse the Poultry section of the forum for more turkey smoking tips and keep that top vent open.   ;)

TedEbear

And for something a little different, try a bacon weave smoked turkey.

Bacon Wrapped Smoked Turkey