Sausage

Started by ratherbboating, September 30, 2016, 02:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratherbboating

While I have not been posting what I have been doing, I still make sausage.  I got a hog back from the processor and got back into make more sausage.

Made Chorizo Sonorense (from Len Poli site).  6 lbs. I lightly froze the to make them easier to pack. Before packing in vacuum bags and freezing.  These are good for breakfast burritos and make good tacos.  I am going to try and add the same ingredient to beef hamburger and see what they taste like.

I also made hot dogs (Hot Dog Recipe #1 from Lets Make Sausgage).  Used liquid smoke and cooked in 180F water untill they were 155F.  I did emulsify them in my food processor.

I also made Wisconsin style (like Johnsonvile brats), aslo from Len Poli site.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Edward176

Looks real tasty ratherbboating. I will be attempting my first batch of sausage in a week or 2, looking at making Polish Kielbasa from an old timers recipe from when he had his own butcher shop. I take it you aren't smoking them, just stuffing and freezing them? Maybe I'll start next week after viewing your pic. Thanks

ratherbboating

I do make smoked sausage, but didn't want to make time to smoke the hot dogs.  I did make bacon, smoked in hickory wood for 2 hours (a couple of days before this), from this same hog.  Still got to make andouillle, and I will be SMOKING it heavy with hickory.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Edward176

Sounds real good ratherbboating. I started a new batch today of 8 small hams, 5 large pieces of back Bacon and 3 kgs (6.6 lbs) of Baron of Beef for my corned beef. 7 days in the brine and I'll be smoking it all Friday. Then its making my Polish Kielbasa and we'll see how that comes out. I have made bacon several times, but it was a wet brine, still a little Leery about dry curing meat. Oh well.

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"