Cheesy Venison Snack Stix

Started by spangler2k3, October 02, 2016, 03:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spangler2k3

Good evening ladies and gentlemen!

Just want to share my venison recipe along with some help from good old Mr. Bacon and Hi Mountain Spice Kit :)

MEAT AND SPICE PREP

8 lbs of venison
2 pounds of Kunzler Original Bacon (Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite)
mix both through a meat grinder
4 jalapeño peppers (without seeds) chopped finely
16 oz of your favorite shredded cheese (you can use any cheese instead of high temp as long as you do not set your smoker to go over 190 degrees in my testing.. and also, high temp cheese is expensive :) )
Mix all of this very very well

(in separate bowl)
2 1/2 cups water
2.5 teaspoons of hi mountain seasoning per POUND = 20.5 teaspoons
2 teaspoons of hi mountain cure per POUND = 20 teaspoons

Pour dissolved liquid mixture over top of the meat and mix.
Stuff in collagen casing
Place in fridgerator from 4 hours to 24 hours (theres more than enough cure in this to allow for immediate smoking)

COOKING/SMOKING
allow sticks to reach room temperature
set bradley digital to 130 degrees and allow sticks to dry for 2 hours in cabinet (without water bowl)
bump the temp to 145 to 150 and begin smoking with cherry for 2 hours (with water bowl)
bump the temp to 160 and cook for another 2 hours
bump the temp to 170 to 180 and at that time insert your thermometer probe into the top 1/3 of a snack stick (not too high and not too low)

continue cooking until you get a reading of 155. at that point pull then and let them sit in room temperature for 1-2 hours (it will continue cooking to 160 and im not a huge fan of dunking them in the ice bath)

i vacuum pack mine and put them in the refrigerator to enjoy whenever. I can tell you that they stay good for 4 months in the frig.. but i'm not sure if they last longer because they get eaten in our home

hope you give that a try sometime on your next (or first) smoking.. i've tinkered around a bit with the time/smoke/flavor packet/ and i think i got it pretty good with the bacon.. it has plenty of fat using kunzler brand

another 10# in the smoker as we speak!
thanks for taking a peek at it!
BTW.. 10# barely fits on all 4 bradley racks :-D\

Chris

cherrybergher

Thanks for sharing, those look dandy
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

spangler2k3

Thanks. I'm always willing to try new recipes.. i like hot and spicy stuff.. if you have a recipe shoot me a message or drop it here.

:)

69firefowl

Quote from: spangler2k3 on October 02, 2016, 03:54:56 PM
Good evening ladies and gentlemen!

Just want to share my venison recipe along with some help from good old Mr. Bacon and Hi Mountain Spice Kit :)

MEAT AND SPICE PREP

8 lbs of venison
2 pounds of Kunzler Original Bacon (Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite)
mix both through a meat grinder
4 jalapeño peppers (without seeds) chopped finely
16 oz of your favorite shredded cheese (you can use any cheese instead of high temp as long as you do not set your smoker to go over 190 degrees in my testing.. and also, high temp cheese is expensive :) )
Mix all of this very very well

(in separate bowl)
2 1/2 cups water
2.5 teaspoons of hi mountain seasoning per POUND = 20.5 teaspoons
2 teaspoons of hi mountain cure per POUND = 20 teaspoons

Pour dissolved liquid mixture over top of the meat and mix.
Stuff in collagen casing
Place in fridgerator from 4 hours to 24 hours (theres more than enough cure in this to allow for immediate smoking)

COOKING/SMOKING
allow sticks to reach room temperature
set bradley digital to 130 degrees and allow sticks to dry for 2 hours in cabinet (without water bowl)
bump the temp to 145 to 150 and begin smoking with cherry for 2 hours (with water bowl)
bump the temp to 160 and cook for another 2 hours
bump the temp to 170 to 180 and at that time insert your thermometer probe into the top 1/3 of a snack stick (not too high and not too low)

continue cooking until you get a reading of 155. at that point pull then and let them sit in room temperature for 1-2 hours (it will continue cooking to 160 and im not a huge fan of dunking them in the ice bath)

i vacuum pack mine and put them in the refrigerator to enjoy whenever. I can tell you that they stay good for 4 months in the frig.. but i'm not sure if they last longer because they get eaten in our home

hope you give that a try sometime on your next (or first) smoking.. i've tinkered around a bit with the time/smoke/flavor packet/ and i think i got it pretty good with the bacon.. it has plenty of fat using kunzler brand

another 10# in the smoker as we speak!
thanks for taking a peek at it!
BTW.. 10# barely fits on all 4 bradley racks :-D\

Chris

Looks great.  How hard are they to stuff?  Tried making these a few years back and they were hard to crank. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks,
69firefowl

Original Bradley with PID

spangler2k3

sorry i didnt get to this sooner.. I didnt think it was that hard to stuff. I used a gander mountain 5# vertical stuffer. I had my wife help me and it went by easier than i expected