Author Topic: Black Rain  (Read 1017 times)

Offline litobro

Black Rain
« on: October 16, 2016, 05:00:21 pm »
I just got the BCS a few weeks ago and have done a number of smokes with it out on my apartment balcony. Now I know this was discontinued due to some peoples ongoing issues with it but it has served me well so far.

My question is that even though it's been chugging along smoking perfectly fine for me so far (except once where I accidentally put the top tube in too far and got an E3 error), I've also consistently been getting condensation on the front panel which then leads to black rain.

The condensation on the front panel drips down onto the bottom of the unit, and then drips out the front two corners of the screen with gross black residue. Should I be worried about this black rain? And if so, how can I get rid of it? I'm running without the hose now but it's still giving me the same problems.

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
Re: Black Rain
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 02:07:41 am »
I'm not familiar with this unit. Are there any vent openings inside the unit that may have gotten plugged up after years of use?  Maybe if you post more information others can help. Such as:

Does it produce black rain when cooking any meat, or just poultry?

Are you using a marinade, and leaving a thick coating of marinade on the meat? etc.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline litobro

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 05:42:30 am »
There aren't any vents that I know of. Just the one exhaust tube on the back.

It leaves the black rain when smoking anything, I've done sausages, pork butt, whole chicken.

I'm not using any marinade, usually just a simple rub. If it matters, I'm using this unit outdoors and it's starting to get chilly out (0-10C)

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 01:55:44 pm »
The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the hose elbow is empty of any condensation.

I would give Bradley a call. Even though it is discontinued, I'm sure they will provide telephone and/or email support.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline Smoker John

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 08:44:22 am »
There should be vents on the side of the unit. On mine I keep the tube cut short & do get some black liquid coming out of the bottom of the door but not on the food at least. I will periodically open it up & wipe up any condensation, poultry seems to cause the most.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712