Another new guy

Started by collinolesen, October 23, 2016, 03:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

collinolesen

Good evening all. I'm just about to purchase a Bradley digital smoker. I'm having trouble deciding the size. It would be nice to have the six rack, but will usually only use four racks. I am also concerned about the heat the six rack will be able to go up to. Also are the temperature swings that great?

I am not new to smoking, but this will be my first electric smoker.

Thanks all for your kind replys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cherrybergher

I enjoy the 4 rack but do regret not 6 getting the 6 rack.  I have a family of five and ribs would be a great example of something where the extra racks would be a benefit.  I've only had mine since May so in time I'm sure I'll come across a few more in the seasons ahead of me.  As far as temp swings, I've noticed that there is a bit of a difference that can be greatly influenced by weather factors, for me most notably wind anywhere form 15-30 degrees, usually somewhere in between the two extremes.
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

collinolesen

Quote from: cherrybergher on October 23, 2016, 05:33:43 PM
I enjoy the 4 rack but do regret not 6 getting the 6 rack.  I have a family of five and ribs would be a great example of something where the extra racks would be a benefit.  I've only had mine since May so in time I'm sure I'll come across a few more in the seasons ahead of me.  As far as temp swings, I've noticed that there is a bit of a difference that can be greatly influenced by weather factors, for me most notably wind anywhere form 15-30 degrees, usually somewhere in between the two extremes.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TedEbear

For slow smoking most things the temps swings will not make much difference.  Your typical house oven varies the same way but people don't usually monitor it that closely.  There are PID controllers you can add to the Bradley if you want the chamber temp to stay within a few degrees.  For the plug-n-play versions, they range in price from about $140 to $170.  You can put a kit together for around $80.  Again, these are not needed for most things you'll smoke in your Bradley.

BTW, welcome aboard.   :)

Edward176

Welcome    collinolesen, I have the 6 rack Digital Bradley Smoker and have no regrets getting it over the smaller 4 rack one. Gives me ample room for hot and cold smoking and has good height for hanging Kielbasa for smoking. Yes it has a huge temperature swing, but I've learned to work with it, and like everyone says, "Low and Slow is the way to go." A PID is something that I am seriously looking into now but my Bradley has served me well up to now and I"m very happy with it. 

RAF128

I bought the 6 rack because I make sausage and like to hang it.   The temp swings is a problem when doing sausage so I bought a PID and it does the trick

Smoker John

Can't go wrong with a bigger smoker especially if you are loading it up a lot of goodies. Having said that I've owned my 4 rack for several years & it meets my needs.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Toker

Or do like me, buy both  ;D

collinolesen

Quote from: Toker on October 25, 2016, 12:57:50 PM
Or do like me, buy both  ;D
That sounds like the best option!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk