Pork belly advice

Started by Roget, October 27, 2016, 10:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roget

I've never smoked a pork belly & I need some advice.
I don't want to make bacon. I just want thick slices for sandwiches.
Do I need to cure it or just smoke it similar to how I do my butts?

Any help from all you pork belly smokers would be appreciated.
YCDBSOYA

Ka Honu

I think your issue is whether you want to cure the belly (for a week or so) as you would for bacon. You don't need to - there are lots of pork belly preparations out there which only require a rub, brine, or marinade and maybe a few hours in the fridge. Once prepped and cooked/smoked you can slice it any way you want. Google "smoked pork belly recipes" for some options or make up your own. A sort of generic "how to" is in this recipe for Cuban Inspired Smoked Pork Belly.

Roget

Thanx
Quote from: Ka Honu on October 27, 2016, 12:15:54 PM
I think your issue is whether you want to cure the belly (for a week or so) as you would for bacon. You don't need to - there are lots of pork belly preparations out there which only require a rub, brine, or marinade and maybe a few hours in the fridge. Once prepped and cooked/smoked you can slice it any way you want. Google "smoked pork belly recipes" for some options or make up your own. A sort of generic "how to" is in this recipe for Cuban Inspired Smoked Pork Belly.

I was hoping I could cook it without curing it. I have a 9-10 lb. belly coming home with my wife today, & I will divide it into 2 lb. portions & try different recipes.
YCDBSOYA

Habanero Smoker

During the summer months I will often grill fresh pork belly. I often switch up on the marinade. For more methods of cooking and marinades, just do a google search for fresh pork belly recipes.

Here is one that I smoked in the Bradley, but grilling and/or roasting at higher temperatures get the best results. The recipe calls for an internal temperature of 155° - 160°F; which it can take and remain moist. But if you want you only need to bring it up to 145°F. I pay more attention to the crispiness of the exterior. Also many that have tried my dipping sauce prefer it a little sweeter.

Smoked Pork Belly

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Roget

Thanks Habs.
That looks like something I would try.
YCDBSOYA