Newbie starting with ribs and mac

Started by Ricomondo, October 30, 2016, 10:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricomondo

Hi!

New BS Jim Beam edition owner here and attempting my first smoke today after seasoning it the other day.
2) racks of baby backs from a local shop; rubbed with Jan's & going to use the 3-2-1 method, also prepping a pan of homemade mac and gonna toss it in with the ribs for the last two hours. We shall see how it goes!

Habanero Smoker

Hi Ricomondo;

Welcome to the forum. The 3-2-1 method is recommended for spare ribs. If your back ribs come out overcooked, you may want to reduce your foil time, and perhaps your finishing time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ricomondo

Thank you! I was surfing around after I put the ribs in and saw perhaps I should reduce the time. I'm about to take them out shortly. I'll report back on the findings. Thanks again for the tip!

Ricomondo

I'm happy to report EVERYTHING came out excellent. I cut back on the time a bit and the ribs were tender, and just enough "bite". The mac n cheese was on the top rack and the extra cheese on top took in the great smoke flavor (hickory).

The only thing I struggled with was keeping a consistent temp? I shot for 225, but it was about 60 degrees out with a slight breeze ( Bradley digital ) and I had the vent up top half open. The temps ranged from 219-240. I initially set at 230, and it'd dip down. Then I'd bump back up ten degrees, and it'd get too hot actually going to 241. Is it normal to fight with the temp like that?

Habanero Smoker

Your temperatures were pretty tight, and it is normal to get those type of temperature swings you had. Judging by your success you did an excellent job for you inaugural cook in your Bradley.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ricomondo

Thank you very much for the feedback Habanero! I truly appreciate it.
This weekend will be a whole chicken with a recipe found here.

Thank you again!

Roget

Quote from: Ricomondo on October 31, 2016, 11:06:52 AM
I'm happy to report EVERYTHING came out excellent. I cut back on the time a bit and the ribs were tender, and just enough "bite". The mac n cheese was on the top rack and the extra cheese on top took in the great smoke flavor (hickory).

The only thing I struggled with was keeping a consistent temp? I shot for 225, but it was about 60 degrees out with a slight breeze ( Bradley digital ) and I had the vent up top half open. The temps ranged from 219-240. I initially set at 230, and it'd dip down. Then I'd bump back up ten degrees, and it'd get too hot actually going to 241. Is it normal to fight with the temp like that?

IMHO the best money spent is to invest in a PID.
I fought with temperature swings until I purchased one.
Now it always stays at +/- 1 degree of set temp.
Makes it soooo much easier. (& much less frustrating)
YCDBSOYA