Butcher and Packer summer sausage kit question

Started by BlackBark, October 31, 2016, 02:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackBark

I am a newbie at making summer sausage. I just received my kits from Butcher and Packer and have a question.

The kits are for up to 25 lbs. I plan on making it in 3 lb batches one at a time. The instructions are for a full 25 lb batch. Does anyone know how this would translate per pound on the seasoning, cure, and encapsulated citric acid?

I have this question in to B&P, but thought I might get a quicker answer here.

tskeeter

Since 3 X 8 is 24, I'd divide the ingredients in half, in half a second time, and in half a third time, yielding 8 equal size portions.  Not exact, but should be close enough for sausage making, if you have been careful.

Of course, if you have an appropriately accurate scale, you can weigh out 3/25 of the ingredients for each batch.  I have an electronic digital scale with a resolution of .1 grams that I use to weigh ingredients.  Probably more accurate than actually necessary.  But we accountants do like our decimal places.

AkBillyBow

Divide the amount of each ingredient by 25, and that will tell you how much of each one per 1 pound of meat.  You will need a scale to be accurate.

If I may ask, why 3# batches?  That will be about 1 log of summer sausage.  You will make just as big of a mess making 1 log as you would 3 or 4.  I would say cut the ingredients in 3rds, and make a batch that will yield 3 logs.  You can store them for a while in the fridge, or freeze them.  I freeze mine all the time.  Then you can eat more and make it less!!

Good luck.....AkBillyBow

BlackBark

I had thought about that on the seasoning, but the encapsulated citric acid is what is bugging me. It is one package for 25 lbs and some sites say to use 1 level tsp per pound, but there is no way there are 25 tsps in that package.

The reason for 3 lbs at a time is my wife gets mad when I use all the venison for things other than meals, steak, burger, roasts, etc. She'd rather have regular meals with it rather than jerky or summer sausage. Go figure.

AkBillyBow

Simply weigh the encapsulated citric acid.  Take that weight and divide by 25 (for the number per pound).  Take that number and multiply by 3.  That is how much (by weight) you will need for a 3# batch.  Go by weight, not volume.  From what I have read, many use 3oz  per 25# batch.  But, different recipes call for different amount.  You should use it as recommended on the box from the manufacturer.  So measure it out as I described above and you will be using the correct % per the instructions.

AkBillyBow

BlackBark

Thanks. I'll do it that way as the box instructions are for 25 pounds only.

Habanero Smoker

The best way to do it is as Ak suggested.

When I use it I would use it at the following rate:

The average use is 1.50 - 1.80 ounces for 25 lbs. of meat; or .3 (8.5g) - .4 (11g) ounces per pound.

Suggested maximum use is no more then 3 oz (85 g.) for 25 lbs. of meat/fat or .12 ounce (3.40 g.) for 1 lb. meat/fat.

When I use it, I use .4 ounce (11g) per pound. The amount you use depends on how tangy you want it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BlackBark

I want it about as tangy as Hickory Farms summer sausage if you have ever had that.

Habanero Smoker

I've never had Hickory Farms summer sausage, so I have nothing that I can compare it with, but if you follow Ak's suggestion, you will come out with summer sausage as Butcher and Packer intended it to taste. I haven't heard any negative comments on their summer sausage kits.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)