Author Topic: Dead smoker  (Read 822 times)

Offline mattm58

Dead smoker
« on: November 09, 2016, 01:54:52 pm »
I just got a 712 smoker at a silent auction fundraiser for my kids school.  Of course, I unpacked it only to realize I had to buy the wood pucks too.  Ordered some, and finally got to try it out this past weekend.

Unfortunately it is DOA.

The oven heats to temp fine, fan works fine, but the plate the pucks sit on doesn't heat at all.  The pucks advanced out the back completely intact, no charring at all.  Yes, I did verify the smoke light and oven light are on, it was plugged directly into an outlet, no extension cord.  I ran the smoker for several hours, enough time for 5 pucks to cycle through.  Zero smoke.

I called Bradley yesterday.  They basically told me I'm screwed.  It was discontinued 3+ years ago and they no longer have parts.  Since I didn't buy it retail I can't return it.  The best they could offer was a discount on the 4 or 6 rack smokers.  The discount, once you figure in shipping, is maybe $20 off Amazon's regular price with free shipping.

I tried to ask the service rep some questions about whether there are known problems, what parts commonly go bad in relation to this issue, etc. but the only thing I could get out of him was "There were known problems, that's why we discontinued it."  I couldn't get anything specific, even asking multiple times.

Last night I took the cover off and checked all wiring.  Nothing seemed to be loose.  Re-ran it today for several hours.  Still no smoke...

Does anybody have any ideas on how to get this working?  Do I just have a couple hundred dollar paperweight now?

This was really just a purchase to try out smoking.  I can't see dropping several hundred more to use Bradley's "discount" just to try it out, and I'd have to convince the wife too.  At this point, with the service I got from Bradley, that would be a very hard sell.

Offline Grouperman941

Re: Dead smoker
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 10:24:46 am »
It's tough for them to provide service for something that has been discontinued. They didn't need to offer anything.

However, the forum is here, and there are many posts regarding trying to modify and fix the countertop smokers. I'd browse the entire countertop forum.

Search away, and if you are lucky, some of the guys who were into that unit will show up and offer some advice.

Unfortunately, I am not one of them. Good luck. When these work, they turn out some great food.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Offline TedEbear

• Member Extraordinaire
Re: Dead smoker
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 04:35:19 am »
It shouldn't be too hard to troubleshoot with a multimeter.  Check each connection point and see where the 120V incoming power stops.