Racks weight limit

Started by ghosttown, November 12, 2016, 06:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

Going to cook some smoked beans next weekend with a 6quart dutch oven casserole cast iron and was wondering how much weight can a rack support? I'm not worried about the rack as I will be using two of them but I'm worried about the side tracks. 6 quart pot plus the stuff inside might be to heavy don't you think?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

manfromplaid

block it up with something. any hardwood will withstand the heat. bottom rack down to the v tray right below the side rail should work.  I cooked a 21 lb turkey on the bottom rack.

Habanero Smoker

I believe the manual say the maximum weight is 30 lbs., but it doesn't specify cabinet or rail limit. I've always taken that to be the rail maximum limit. I have a 6.5 qt. Dutch cast iron pot, so the weights should be very close to your casserole dish. My 6.5 qt. cast iron Dutch oven weighs 10.75 lbs.; 15.25 lbs. with the lid.

The highest amount of weight I've had on the rails was 18 lbs., and I used double racks. The racks sagged in the middle, but I didn't notice any stress on the rails or sidewall.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ghosttown

Quote from: manfromplaid on November 12, 2016, 09:20:13 PM
block it up with something. any hardwood will withstand the heat. bottom rack down to the v tray right below the side rail should work.  I cooked a 21 lb turkey on the bottom rack.
What you mean block it up? Are you talking about add some hardwood along the sides on top the vtray so the rack above that can rest on that?

ghosttown

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 13, 2016, 01:55:18 AM
I believe the manual say the maximum weight is 30 lbs., but it doesn't specify cabinet or rail limit. I've always taken that to be the rail maximum limit. I have a 6.5 qt. Dutch cast iron pot, so the weights should be very close to your casserole dish. My 6.5 qt. cast iron Dutch oven weighs 10.75 lbs.; 15.25 lbs. with the lid.

The highest amount of weight I've had on the rails was 18 lbs., and I used double racks. The racks sagged in the middle, but I didn't notice any stress on the rails or sidewall.
K thanks, I have done a 20lbs shoulder without an issue with double rack but it seems when the pot is full it will be way more then 20lbs or maybe over the limit.