New owner help

Started by Dnorris1369, November 20, 2016, 06:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dnorris1369

Just went and got first smoker ever. Went with the digital six rack Bradley thanks to cabelas big sale. Few problems--- tried yesterday and temp wouldn't get over 140 after two hours. Attempting again this morning and heated up to 230 after an hour or so(seems a little long). Put meat in temp drop 35 to 40 degrees. Am I missing something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyNola

Check the short power cord that goes from the generator to the tower.  It sounds like it may not be firmly seated.  They require a good deal of pressure to get the ends to properly seat.  Your first attempt and only get to 140 sounds like perhaps only the puck burner was heating.

tskeeter

A standard practice for many of us is to let meat temper a bit, rather than going directly from fridge to smoker.  About an hour or so on the counter takes some of the chill off the meat, allowing the smoker to recover to your temp set point more quickly.  And it tends to allow the meat to cook more evenly.

Something else many of us do is to keep a foil wrapped brick tucked under the puck burner.  The brick acts as a heat sink, absorbing heat while you are warming up your smoker.  Then, releasing the heat to the cool meat after you put it the smoker.  This technique helps speed up temperature recovery.

Dnorris1369

Thanks for input guys. I smoked a turkey today. Kept it around 220 to 230 after initial. This thing just seems like doesn't heat enough. Would hardly ever reach setting I had it on. Maybe it's just. Me. But turkey did come out good except for skin.

tskeeter

The skin of smoked poultry tends to come out rubbery unless you do a crisping step at the end of your smoke.  Give the bird about 15 minutes or so in a hot oven or grill and the skin will crisp up some.

Habanero Smoker

Air drying poultry uncovered in the refrigerator for 8 - 24 hours prior to cooking also helps improve the texture of the skin; along with roasting at a high temperature to finish it off.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Salmonsmoker

Dnorris, don't get discouraged. You have good advice in this thread. Remember the Bradley is a low and slow cooker, hence the rubbery poultry skin. Crisping takes higher heat than the Bradley provides. It's just the nature of the beast. Heat recovery is slow, especially when you have a big heat sink like a turkey. Minimize opening the door as much as possible, so you don't lose the heat that you've accumulated. If this is a new realm, enjoy it. You're gonna have some fun and learn a lot!
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Dnorris1369

Thanks guys. I'm enjoying it so far. Besides the skin best turkey ever. Got another in frig for Thursday.