Temp light flickering

Started by wcmaness, November 21, 2016, 06:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcmaness

When I turn it on full high, the light is solid.  When I try to use a lower setting, the light flickers & doesn't seem to heat.  What part is bad?

TedEbear

When the light flickers it just means that the power is turning on and off rapidly to try and maintain whatever lower temp it is set at.

Also, welcome aboard.   :)

Habanero Smoker

Hi wcmaness;

Welcome to the forum.

I have the Old Original, and not that knowledgeable on how the New Original model power indicator light operates. I believe both operate by the use of a rheostat, and if they operate the same the light should dim but remain steady as you lower it. If you are not getting any heat, there may be a loose connection, or the rheostat may need to be replaced.  I would call Bradley.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Edward176

Welcome to the Forum wcmaness and enjoy.

wcmaness

Thanks everyone.  I've replaced the heating element and the rheostat.  No improvement.  Might be the temp sensor.  I've emailed Bradley about it - we'll see what they have to say.

wcmaness

Bradley responded to "make sure all connections are good" and that "there is an inline fuse in the back of the tower". 

Where exactly is this fuse?  Are they talking about the smoker box as the tower?  I don't see a fuse there - and I am getting heat on high anyway.

Toker

Inside the tower. Just remove the back panel and you will see an orange cord. This is the fuse.

Habanero Smoker

If you are getting heat at the high setting, the inline fuse is good. I agree with Bradley, what you are describing is a loose connection somewhere or a faulty part, which could either be located in  the generator or in the cabinet.

Bypass the generator and plug the smoking cabinet directly into a wall socket. You will need to use a desktop computer power cord (NEMA 5-15P to IEC C13) to plug into the back of the cabinet so it can be plugged into the wall socket. Monitor to see if the element get red hot, if it gets red hot don't leave it plugged in too long. If the heating element works, your are probably looking at a problem located in the generator. But loose connections are finicky, so it wouldn't hurt to take off the back panel of the cabinet, and check the wiring.

Make sure you short jumper cord is good, and has not signs of cracks. The jumper cord is the power cord that connects the cabinet to the generator. The best way to check it is to use a multi-meter and check each wire in the cord for continuity.

Open up the generator, and check all connections. Even if the wire is connected, disconnect and reconnect to ensure a secure connection.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

wcmaness

Well - here's progress to date:  I've replaced the fuse, the rheostat, the heating element and the temp sensor.  No change - so I'm thinking it's a problem in the generator.  However, Bradley won't help because I didn't register the unit, and no, the paper sticker with the serial number is unreadable - so I cannot register it.

Is there a culprit in the generator I can check - since this will all be on me?  Or do I junk it & go back to my basic Oklahoma Joes wood smoker?

Habanero Smoker

If there is no loose wire(s), I have no further ideas or suggestions. From the description of the problem it never appeared to be a problem with the element, temperature sensor, or inline fuse.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Olev

Hi Please PM or email me tomorrow during the work hours and I will try to help you out.
Include the photo of the serials on the back of the generator and or on the cabinet.
Also send me a short videoclip of the flashing digits if possible.

Meanwhile, you can do a little test for me:
If you have a volt meter, I would like to know if the power flickers on the heater leads.
Talk to you tomorrow,
Olev

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"