First picnic

Started by collinolesen, November 11, 2016, 06:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

collinolesen

I know the picnic isn't the best cut for pulled pork, or so I've read. Just curious at time per pound to expect and what temp. To cook at. My picnic is 10lbs and I've removed the skin and applied my rub. Trying to see how early I need to get up to start, food needs to be ready by 4pm. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manfromplaid

I will cook mine at 215 till reaching a IT of 195. do the fork test  insert and twist.  you can expect app. 1&1/2 hrs per pound give or take. hope this helps

collinolesen

Thank you

TedEbear

You could have started it last night when you posted your last reply and everything would have still turned out OK.  The ballpark time is 1.5-2 hours per lb, so if you waited until this morning to begin smoking it you might be pushing it to have it done by 4pm.  I've had an 8 lb butt take 20 hours to reach 195*F with a chamber temp of 210.  A little early is better than a little late.  :)

If it gets done early you can FTC (foil, towel, cooler) for 4 hours or more and it will still be nice and hot when you get ready to pull.  I've done it that way and after 4 hours the meat is still almost too hot to handle.

Post the details of how it all turned out if you get the time.

collinolesen

It turned out great. Ended up taking 15 hrs. I used 3 hrs of hickory smoke.

collinolesen

Quote from: TedEbear on November 12, 2016, 07:31:28 AM
You could have started it last night when you posted your last reply and everything would have still turned out OK.  The ballpark time is 1.5-2 hours per lb, so if you waited until this morning to begin smoking it you might be pushing it to have it done by 4pm.  I've had an 8 lb butt take 20 hours to reach 195*F with a chamber temp of 210.  A little early is better than a little late.  :)

If it gets done early you can FTC (foil, towel, cooler) for 4 hours or more and it will still be nice and hot when you get ready to pull.  I've done it that way and after 4 hours the meat is still almost too hot to handle.

Post the details of how it all turned out if you get the time.
Luckily I put it in at midnight that night. It reached 190 at three the next afternoon. Thanks for the advice!