13 pound turkey stuck at 140

Started by collinolesen, November 24, 2016, 10:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

collinolesen

My turkey has been sitting at 140 for about an hr and a half. It's been in the smoker at 230 for 6 1/2 hours. Thinking I may throw it in the oven. Happy thanksgiving all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

When I use to monitor the temperatures during cooking more closely, I often noticed a "minor" stall around 140°F. I did try to find out what causes this. What I learned is at 140°F  temperature that is when proteins denature (change shape), and during that process release moisture a lot of moisture. This release of moisture causes that minor stall. The length of time these "minor" stalls last would depend on the mass of meat. One hour would be within that range.

It is best to finish the turkey in the oven anyway to crisp up the skin. How big was your turkey?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 25, 2016, 02:17:44 AMHow big was your turkey?

Title says 13 lbs.

I had no trouble with a 20# turkey taking too long to cook.  For whatever reason, we bought a 20# turkey, instead of our usual 13-14# bird, and I didn't think it would fit in the smoker.  I bought an electric roaster and going by several sources as to how long it would take to cook at 325*F I came up with a 4-5 hour window. from start to finish.  First 30 minutes at 450*F to sear the skin and then 325 after that.  I decided to check the progress with my Thermapen after 3 hours and I'm glad I did.  The breast was already at 201*F!   I checked it in at least 6 different spots, including the thighs.   :o

Since it was still 3 hours before time for the big meal I did a quick Google search on how to rescue the bird.  Once source said the old reliable FTC method would keep it warm and moist for several hours until time to carve.  I did that and everything turned out great.  It was still warm and moist when I got ready to carve 3 1/2 hours later and our guests said the turkey was great.  I guess maybe next time I'll dial down the roaster temp a tad (275?). I think that thing would have cooked that 20# bird in a little over 2 hours at 325.